Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is somewhat complicated and is probably all based on trial and error but here goes... How close to the wristpin can i place the ringpack on a set of custom pistons? i know that doing this reduces the shock of detonation on the ringpack in turbocharged engines. RPS had a set of custom pistons that looked like the control ring was sitting right on top of the piston pin... can somebody maybe give me a little fyi?... thx guys(and girls)...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I wonder if the piston manufactuer could give you an idea. Hopefully they'd know what would hold well and have good strength.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
i know you definitely don't want it under the oil ring, for a street application.

i've seen FI motors use pins that are in the 1mm range from the oil rings, and they were streetable; but i don't know for how long.

for FI, the more important thing you must consider is keeping the top compression ring away from the crown of the piston, or else it'll cook on you.

keeping that distance relatively stock, you can afford to slide the second ring up a tad, and the oil ring up a tad more. then you can move the pin up to within 1-1.5mm of the oil ring, and it should be relatively reliable for the street.

run a 1-2mm undersized pin, and you can slide up a little more. just remember, the smaller the pin, the more exotic pin you'll have to buy, to make up for the lost rigidity.

noticing that you're speaking mostly about helping detonation damage, i'm assuming you've considered the fact that this will require custom rods as well. a pretty pricey engine package, for sure... especially considering it is possible to build and tune a motor without it ever seeing a detonation hit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine im building is a 95 obd1 gs-r motor and im looking at about 8.5:1 compression so i can run some pretty extreme boost but still keep it driveable. the rods i will be using are carrillo a-beams (not quite as strong as the all out carrillo race rods, but if chris rado uses them in his 8.5 sec drag teg, ill use em in my 10 sec street teg) and im still looking for a good custom piston manufacturer. anyone have any suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts