Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might sound silly but i rather be safe than sorry. I'm customizing my turbo setup and i need to know the correct sizes for the piping. I'm buying all my pipes from JcWhitney.com and i know the sizes but i rather be sure. Appreciate it...thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
im pretty sure he's talking about charge air piping, not exhaust piping

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. what size piping for the charge air would be recommended?

·
Registered
368 Posts
id say it would depend partly on your intercooler and power expectations...if you have an intercooler with 2.5" outlets, id run 2.5" all the way through..

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
ok, im keeping my AC so its gonna be a 2.5 inch downpipe. I haven't decided on an intercooler yet. Would the be more backforce if I used 3.0 for the charge air and then 2.5 for the downpipe? or is 3" charge air even possible keeping the AC? I was under the impression that the 3" rule was only for the downpipe.

·
Registered
368 Posts
3" would be too way too large for you for charge pipes. Buy your intercooler, run piping size based on that. 3" downpipe will def make more power and spool faster...i was going to keep my ac but im saying screw it now...

·
Registered
85 Posts
well, here's the way to think about it. don't think of the air from the turbo as "flowing quickly" through the intercooler and piping... instead think of the intercooler piping as a pressurized air storage tank. you are pressurizing the intake. that having been said, to reduce the possibility for pressure drop in the system, in our shop we typically try to match piping diameter to what it comes off of and what it goes to. for example if you have about 3 feet of piping needed to connect the intercooler to the turbo and the turbo outlet is 2" and the intercooler inlet is 2.5"(typical setup) then you would want to run 2" piping off the turbo for about 1 foot then blend to 2.25" for a foot, then blend to 2.5" to meet the intercooler. for optimum performance you will want to evenly graduate piping diameter in this way. same goes for the piping to the throttle body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts