Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im getting ready to really go all out, and i need some help.. When i purchase my pistons, im going to get a different compression than stock, So do i go up or down, or should i say turbo or all motor. What do you think is the best for the tegra?

·
Registered
136 Posts
if your a drag racer... I would go with turbo ...
if you enjoy autoX .. I would go allmotor ...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well im kinda of the street type of guy, like when i drive around and hit a light with a v8 i want to put them in there place, So i guess drag?? what do you think

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
People....we can sit here and moan and groan about turbo vs na ALL DAY!! There is no point to this unless you can offer this guy some informed and educated answers and maybe some engine packages with a ballpark price. Something like, "Integras have low rod ratios, so high revving+high psi= blown motor in some cases...." blah blah. Or..."An n/a setup with a bad engine package will never compete with a good setup" or "going either way b/c of the hype and import pop culture is a bad decision". If it gets out of hand you can count on it getting locked.

·
Registered
392 Posts
u can use your stock compresion for turbo but u have to replace the rods. if u use stock pistons i suggest u do not use high amount of boost.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
once again it is all about what youre doing. one isnt better than the other. But for drag racing I would reccomend a turbo, since All Motor will require more money, more experience, and more tinkering to produce the same amount of power as a turbo set up. The trade off being turbo-lag, which is reduced with the right size turbo and ball bearing turbos (which are the sh*t, they really are), and probably motor life. Done right a turbo set up can last about as long as a N/A set up, but it all depends on how much restraint you have. Eventually you'll get the urge to add 5 PSI, just for one race, which is the one race which will put holes in youre pistons. So if you are looking for power to drag, my reccomendation would be a complete turbo kit from a reputable company, with a quick spinning turbo, an intercooler, and self restraint. A kit like this could run you anywhere from 2000-3500, and it could be worth paying more for ball bearing as the turbo will last longer, spool faster, and require less maintenence (you also dont have to worry about cooking oil in it). If you decide to run anywhere above the 7 PSI mark (which is pushing it a little on stock GS-R pistons) you'll want to build up you're bottom end with lower compression pistons, stronger rods, and if you go alot higher you may even want to look into reinforcing you're cylinder walls. This could run you anywhere from an additional 800 to 1500 dollars. You can also consider new cams, and upgrading youre valvetrain if you are planning on running high boost. Another avenue you have is a supercharger. Since you have a GS-R a JSRC (Jackson Racing Supercharger) could be a good way to go with you're higher compression. A scroll compressor type supercharger like that in the JRSC kit can provide a significant power boost all throughout the RPM range, is very reliable, doesnt suffer from any turbo lag, and limits you're ability to overboost you're engine since the only way to increase boost is by changing pullies, and you are limited by how much you can do with those. A JRSC will run you about 3000, and can be a good choice for drag, but is still very streetable and capable of Auto-X and other events easily.

As you can see there are alot of factors that go into choosing what you're going to do, and there arent any easy answers. Sorry for the novel, but I was trying to stay in the posting guidelines and not just spew useless rhetoric.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
power goal really dictates whether you get a turbo.

it's also a huge one time outlay of cash...if you can afford that then that's no issue. Most cannot.

you should start with the power goal and see if it's doable with N/A vs turbo and then see if you have the budget & time to achieve the package realistically.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live in Utah and there is a kid who owns an all motor '97 Integra Type-R and is sponsered by JUN...WooHoo! (not really) Anyway he has done it right and set it up to where he runs low 14's. This car hold the record in Utah at Rocky Mountian Raceway. So I guess you could try to go all motor, but I'm not sure all that you would have to do but it can be done i have seen it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts