Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much boost can a turboed ls handle on stock pistons and internals? and how much can in handle with new pistons and internals? thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
From what I here stock pistons and internals handle around 6-8 boost 8 streching it and new pistons and internals depends on what you get.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm guessing the internals would be the pistons/rods?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. also, it did not say this in the articles, if i were to say...wanting to run 7-8psi on the street, and 10-12psi at the track, would i need all new internals? as in...ALL of the internals? i.e.-pistons/rods/sleeves/bottom end.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what if i were to upgrade all the internals...eeek shellin out another 2g's...but...would i be able to crank it to 15psi?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going to turbo my 99 LS within a couple months and I've got 47k miles on it now. I just got a compression test and it came back 210 psi on 2 cylinders and 215 psi on the other 2, is that alright? I'm debating between throwing some eagle rods and je pistons 9:1 and just boosting on stock internals for a couple months at like 6 PSI. Anybody know what the typical cost would be for rods % pistons install in a B18B? Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
the LS block can handle 9-10 psi.. some say more... some say less..
considering I have a turbo rs and have boosted at 7 psi daily for over a year and many romps at 9 psi and some at 10!with ZERO problem I would say 9psi is safe! I am on stock internals..

with proper tunning, fuel, ignition,timming,gas..etc. I would say 12 psi is posible!( I am not gona try it.. but I am sure it can be done!)

we all seem to forget the one may reason that most honda's are not great for F/I..... the floating cylinder sleves!
this is were a large portion of the problems happen!

the large problem is detonation...(which is avoidable with proper tunning!) detonation happens at the top end of the cylinder walls ( some resleve the cylinder walls other swear by block guards) these strengthen the upper portion of the cylinder walls.

honestly detonation is the real problem so address that first! what can cause detonation incorrest timming, fuel, heat..so what can do to help... a proper fuel set-up!!! a properly working and calibrated ignition system, intercooler! TUNNING!! for starters.

spend the $$$ on a fuel set-up/computer that is optimized to F/I on a honda! this will do many things!
yeild you better gains than a stock fuel system feeding your turbo!
a computer that will fuel/sensors/etc for more power! lower fuel pressures so you don't lean-out an injector!
optimize timming!
flexible for tunning!

a block guard is also a good idea, with a proper fuel set-up/comp you can run the same amount of boost as a someone with a similar set-up (with out fuel/comp) and you will have more power at the same psi of boost! as you car will be optimized for power.

personally if I were to build another car.. LS block with stock internals, P&P the head, block guard, hondata, with stock internals. I think 12psi is posible.. and more with racegas..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hondata 2B runs about 500 now since they've dropped their prices, but you'll need an OBD1 conversion if you're OBDII(~$170) and an OBD1 ecu

·
Registered
890 Posts
skibbs on Jul/23/02 said:
I'm going to turbo my 99 LS within a couple months and I've got 47k miles on it now. I just got a compression test and it came back 210 psi on 2 cylinders and 215 psi on the other 2, is that alright? I'm debating between throwing some eagle rods and je pistons 9:1 and just boosting on stock internals for a couple months at like 6 PSI. Anybody know what the typical cost would be for rods % pistons install in a B18B? Thanks
The Cost to intals, i don't have a clue.

210 on 2 cylinders along with 215 on the other 2 isn't bad. The general rule I hear from people before they have problems is as long as they are with 15-20 different there "shouldn't" be a problem, after they pas 20 psi different from eachother keep an eye on it, it is possible to create powerlosses, and I'm sure your goign to get unwanted engine wear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts