Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i plan to turbo or sc my car. but i was going to purchase an exhaust first. well i definately dont want to buy two exhausts, so could i just get the turbo exhaust without having a turbo yet?

·
Registered
577 Posts
what do you mean "turbo exhaust"?? are you talkin about the exhaust manifold (header)?? or are you talkin about the catback? Catback's aren't made in turbo and non-turbo applications. If your gonna go turbo, make sure you get an exhaust that's not gonna restrict airflow under that boost. 2.5" is pretty much the minimum exhaust diameter for a turbo'd 4 banger. As for the header, that'll come with the turbo kit.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If you know for sure you're getting turbo I'd just get the big catback exhaust. Low end will suffer a little but you'll get over it once that turbo goes in.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
97teg on Sep/01/02 said:
will having a smaller diameter exhaust hurt? say a 60 mm, thats roughly 2.36".
Yes it will....don't know why? Check out MD's article on exhausts...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
You'll choke off power that you could have had just by having a bigger exhaust. Backpressure kills power, and turbos make lots of it. Our exhaust articles list the proper exhaust sizing for horsepower goals.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i should just go with 2.5 cat back? well i was gonna get a thermal catback but they also have a 3" for turbos, but would that really be needed?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
97silvergs on Sep/01/02 said:
so i should just go with 2.5 cat back? well i was gonna get a thermal catback but they also have a 3" for turbos, but would that really be needed?
oy.....please please please read Md's article on exhausts and the article will answer your question...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Sep/01/02 said:
Quote: 97silvergs on Sep/01/02so i should just go with 2.5 cat back? well i was gonna get a thermal catback but they also have a 3" for turbos, but would that really be needed?
oy.....please please please read Md's article on exhausts and the article will answer your question...
this is crazy, how many guys does it take too tell him too read a article. are you goin' for a Mod job, justin?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
silverSE on Sep/01/02 said:
this is crazy, how many guys does it take too tell him too read a article. are you goin' for a Mod job, justin?
Please keep your comments to yourself. I've seen your work around the boards and your 5 year old attitude...(MD comes to mind)

We told him to read the article because thats what he should do...if he has any questions after he has read it, then he should, by all means, ask away...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote: Justin Klemgold on Sep/01/02Quote: silverSE on Sep/01/02this is crazy, how many guys does it take too tell him too read a article. are you goin' for a Mod job, justin?[/QUOTE]Please keep your comments to yourself. I've seen your work around the boards and your 5 year old attitude...(MD comes to mind)
We told him to read the article because thats what he should do...if he has any questions after he has read it, then he should, by all means, ask away...

[/QUOTE]5 yr old attitude? there is ways of saying things, and then there MD's ways, so i make a point of noticing that, big deal. every post on this site either gets locked or ridiculed (spell check?), so if that gives me the attitude of a 5 yr. old then so be it. and i didnt see anything in the guidelines about keeping my comments too myself? maybe search that one
, keep up the campaining for "mod" your brown nosing is quite impressive!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Sep/01/02[b said:
Quote: [/b]97silvergs on Sep/01/02] so i should just go with 2.5 cat back? well i was gonna get a thermal catback but they also have a 3" for turbos, but would that really be needed?

oy.....please please please read Md's article on exhausts and the article will answer your question...[/quote]
NO ! 2.5 is what you need ! If you are planing on running moderate boost say 5-10..If you go upwards to 15-18psi this is when a 3" will come into play and HELP your setup. Not before no no no 3" And that my friend is a MYTH ! 3" will do nothing for you below 15psi ! Except KILL your low end.

·
Registered
428 Posts
which would you use if you use the stepping affect, running around 8-10psi?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Although I respect MD's articles and its an excellent source of info and specs. A very good friend of mine who is the Crew Chief for Kenny Tran and head Mech. at Jotech says..."Over 300 dynoed turbo cars we have done I have NEVER seen ANY gain with a 3" that made any difference" unless running HIGH boost to push it.

Jotech

·
Registered
57 Posts
True that...u won't make any extra hp with a 3", but if u are turbo then it will help spool ur turbo up faster, which is where i think the advantage is.

p.s.-I'm a big fan of kenny tran too...most those pro guys run off the downpipe, which is what i would do too if i didn't have to drive around the streets

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
can someone explain what the stepping effect mentioned abuot three replies ago means???? Ive never heard of that or maybe just in different terms-- thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts