Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that if I get a turbo I will fail emissions but there are ways to go around it such as getting a vtec controller.. does any one know if the vtec controller really help passing emissions?

·
Registered
527 Posts
that is actually one of the most ridiculous myths ive ever heard...
do yourself a favor start being buddy buddy with a smog tech in your area... and start flipping out about $250.00 bucks to have him pass you.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Don't know how the laws are in Washington where you're from. The Greddy GS-R turbo kit is 50-state legal but that's it. The others you will definitely fail the visual inspection, it doesn't matter if the turbo is connected or not. But that's California, other states let you get away with murder so you'll have to check your state laws on how much you can get away with.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
LOL at SurferX

"Get away with murder"

Now that is a freaky though, if you guys find out, please let me know. I will be sure never to go that state~ :p

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have 3 good solutions:

1. Don't drive your teg that much so you'll not have to be tested at all. Not sure about other states but that's the law in PA...if you don't drive over a certain amount of miles within a year, you don't have to take the inspection tests.

2. Buy the Greddy Turbo Kit and you'll pass inspection since it's 50 state legal and smog legal

3. Go to various shops and beg them to let you pass.......sometimes begging can work or $$$

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here in Texas, the way they are testing the emissions is kind of funny. on cars 1996 or newer, they just plug into OBDII computer. Kind of like how the Snap-on Diagnostics Tool works. They just check to make sure all the sensors are in ready status. on cars that are 95 or older, they stick the sniffer up the tailpipe. My friend's civic just got tested recently. All he did was reset his ECU 2 hours before testing & that put all the sensors in ready status.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So besides bribing, what can I add to my car that will help me pass the emissions test if i get a turbo?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Integrity_96, that's how they do it in Illinois also. For cars 96 and newer they do they plug into the OBDII comp and scan sensors. I just replaced my O2 sensor, so no CEL anymore, but I'm wondering if anything else should pop up? Do you think lovering the boost with the boost controller will help? And does the resetting of ECU before the test help if you didn't have any codes to begin with?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts