Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should a turbo g3 gsr compression test psi range at? Is it still stock? The reason im asking is because my cousin is buying a turbo'd teg and i want to do a compression test before he buys it.

What else should i look at, when buying a turbo'd teg?

I know, I know, buying a moded teg.... i do know quite a bit about auto/performance and everything on this teg was mod'd nothing but top/quality brands.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It's not about PSI numbers... it's more about consistency. As long as there isn't a big difference between cylinders it will show you you have a good bottom end. Doing a leakdown test will show you a little more about the head too. Being turbe'd shouldn't change anything either.

Most importantly... who tuned this car? Is he (or she) a reputable tuner? Was the car ever driven untuned like some jackasses like to do?

Maybe the compression and leakdown test might tell you the truth.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
aalb1 on Feb/08/06 said:
It's not about PSI numbers... it's more about consistency. As long as there isn't a big difference between cylinders it will show you you have a good bottom end. Doing a leakdown test will show you a little more about the head too. Being turbe'd shouldn't change anything either.

Most importantly... who tuned this car? Is he (or she) a reputable tuner? Was the car ever driven untuned like some jackasses like to do?

Maybe the compression and leakdown test might tell you the truth.

Well it is about the numbers, if you are consisitent through out the cylinders at 35psi, you should not be boosting, you probably dont have enough CP to go up a hill, and the first time boost hits you're going to cause problems.

So numbers do matter, also remember that a GSR and an LS motor have different compressions to begin with, so expect higher results from a GSR, about 240psi, I am not sure what the nominal PSI is for the GSR, but we have a scan from the service manual floating around.

For an LS, nominal is 199 psi, and as long as it doesnt varry more than 30psi, you should be ok.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has been dyno'd so i assume tunning was done. It dyno'd at 260 hp as he stated. If compression is above 240 psi and is consistent on all cylinders, its a healthy turbo'd motor?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
sounds like a healthy bottom end... but don't take that to be the gospel. A leakdown test can tell you a little more about the head... What engine management is being used?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scractch the dyno. He based the numbers from greddy. how many horsepower does a stock gsr w/ greddy turbo kit push?

and no engine mangament

·
Registered
708 Posts
Obviously sounds like he dosent know what he was doing. You would be luck if this car is in good shape, but it may be. Also sounds like he didnt dyno/tune it. If you buy it that WILL need to be done.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So no engine management? not even the blue box or Emanage? Just up'd the Fuel Pressure and that's it? I'd say that's taking a shortcut there.

As far as the name brand comment... That Victor X is a mismatch for his setup. He probably did it for the bling factor but it's just not necessary. This is a red flag that's raised in my mind. It leads me to believe he's not as much of a Turbo Teg Enthusiastas much as he is a Turbo Teg Owner.

This doesn't mean you still can't buy this and win out big time.... After all it is a very pretty car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aalb1 on Feb/10/06 said:
So no engine management? not even the blue box or Emanage? Just up'd the Fuel Pressure and that's it? I'd say that's taking a shortcut there.

As far as the name brand comment... That Victor X is a mismatch for his setup. He probably did it for the bling factor but it's just not necessary. This is a red flag that's raised in my mind. It leads me to believe he's not as much of a Turbo Teg Enthusiastas much as he is a Turbo Teg Owner.

This doesn't mean you still can't buy this and win out big time.... After all it is a very pretty car.
How is the Victor X a mismatch. Isnt it made for turbo?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
While the greddy kit give great midrange gains... the Victor X was designed for power up top... thus a mismatch. A Skunk2 or Blox IM would be a better match.

It's not terribly bad... Like I said it seems that he went for the bling factor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.