Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm goin back to school soon and during the school year i don't spend alot of money because of time. So i'm planning to put everything aside for my car so i can have a decent car after graduation. My question is,
can turboing be done in stages?
Say the first things i should do is prep the car, which means internal work, then go through a set stage in getting turbo parts and finally having the whole integra set up?

How much would rebuilding/turboing and labor be after everything is set?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, turbo can be done through stages. First, work on the internals which you have stated. This includes cams, pistons, rods, valve retainers, strengthen the block, etc. Second, if you don't already have one get an exhaust system. If you have an exhaust system then work on getting the add on for the turbo. Example: Stand alone management system, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, msd ignition, etc. Last but not least, you can either go the easy route and buy a turbo kit or buy it by parts.
These are just some of the things you could do and it doesn't mean you have to get all the internals or add on for the turbo. It means you could follow these stages but in my opinion, it's best just to get the turbo then work from there. Whether you choose to customize your turbo or buy the kit, it all depends on your goal. As far as how much everything will be...just say it's too much to count. I know i stopped counting

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
um... well. this is what i would do...

get all the parts that ensure the safety and reliability of your setup. fuel, ignition, pressure gauges, blah blah blah...

then get the turbo and a new exhaust system at the same time. (patience, grasshopper.)

if you get an exhaust system sized for a turbo before actually getting the turbo will kill your bottom end in the meantime. i know the exhaust system costs less than the turbo so a lot of people do get the exhaust system first and then save up for the turbo. this doen't make any sense to me because you'll have to drive around an underachieving dog until you save up enough money for the turbo. how long would that take? 6 months? a year? 2 years???

getting the turbo before ensuring the safety and reliability of your engine is just about the dumbest thing you can do. so you ram a whole lot more air into your engine. you run lean and then "BAM!" you're screwed. the stock ignition is not providing enough spark for the amount of air/fuel mixture in your engine. BAM! costly repairs... you get my drift?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A stock b18 engine can boost from 6-8psi safely and 9psi which is kind of risky. Yea dragontegz is right that getting the foundation components to build the engine is a good idea but if your not boosting above 9psi then it won't make sense to spend thousands on engine components just to ensure safety unless your rich. Most people that i know work from turbo then build their engine up. At least with just a stock engine turbo charged you'll be able to kill most cars than you could now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts