Team Integra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi i just recently bought a 2001 teggy GS. It has an automatic transmission, now my question is should i turbo it or not? Why and why not? (What size of turbo im guessing it would have to be a much smaller turbo than normal people would use.) If yes then what turbo and what psi? First time with an automatic transmission and just curios if i can in fact add a turbo to it. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
You can but it will not last long under that abuse. That's why you hardly ever see automatic turbos...and the cost to beef up your auto far exceeds a 5 speed swap or an entire car swap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can but it will not last long under that abuse. That's why you hardly ever see automatic turbos...and the cost to beef up your auto far exceeds a 5 speed swap or an entire car swap.
Thanks for that but what would you say could be some mods i can do to make it faster. I already did a cold air intake which i know doesn't really do much but i just want a some what fast car (atleast faster than stock). Thanks for the turbo advise tho.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Have you searched at all? You are severely limited by the automatic transmission.....that's why nobody buys those that wishes to modify them.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Best "upgrade" you could do for speed is to swap in a 5 speed transmission or sell the car and buy another with the manual already in it. Sorry to be a downer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have to agree with JustinKlemgold.
By all means you can turbo an automatic. You wouldn't be the first or last.
But, the moment you start running that power through the auto tranny is the moment you start wearing it out. Sure you can beef up the transmission, but that will cost as much if not more than a turbo setup.
If you want cheap and easy power upgrades, then do intake, headers, and exhaust. If you want a car that's even more fun to drive, either swap in a manual transmission, or buy an integra that was already a manual. If you don't have the tools or space to do the work, buying one with a manual will be your best bet unfortunately.

After that, you can do intake, headers, and exhaust (or maybe a manual integra on the market in your area already has these upgrades).
If you want some more power upgrades, you will have to look into internals, and/or go for a nice turbo setup.

Personally I would love to try an auto turbo integra, that sounds awesome :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree with JustinKlemgold.
By all means you can turbo an automatic. You wouldn't be the first or last.
But, the moment you start running that power through the auto tranny is the moment you start wearing it out. Sure you can beef up the transmission, but that will cost as much if not more than a turbo setup.
If you want cheap and easy power upgrades, then do intake, headers, and exhaust. If you want a car that's even more fun to drive, either swap in a manual transmission, or buy an integra that was already a manual. If you don't have the tools or space to do the work, buying one with a manual will be your best bet unfortunately.

After that, you can do intake, headers, and exhaust (or maybe a manual integra on the market in your area already has these upgrades).
If you want some more power upgrades, you will have to look into internals, and/or go for a nice turbo setup.

Personally I would love to try an auto turbo integra, that sounds awesome :)
What about a supercharger instead of the turbo? same thing with he stress on the transmission????

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree with Justinklemgold, I had an auto integra (was my first car) blew the motor and decided to swap it for a gsr with LSD. honestly if I could go back, i would have either sold the car and bought something else, or bought an integra that was already manual. Doing the swap myself I definitely learned a lot but it isn't really worth it financially.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you really want to go FI on an integra, you'll save yourself a lot of pretty much everything by ditching the automatic transmission. What do you even want to do with this car?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
What about a supercharger instead of the turbo? same thing with he stress on the transmission????
Yeah. You can't double the power and expect that weak transmission to hold.

Honda's manual transmissions are legendary, however, in being able to hold 500 whp and up without any upgrades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im currently running a 97 RS stock Automatic with a 50 trim turbo. If you're power goals are moderate 200-240hp you can stick with your auto tranny. I love having no boost lag ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Im currently running a 97 RS stock Automatic with a 50 trim turbo. If you're power goals are moderate 200-240hp you can stick with your auto tranny. I love having no boost lag ?
do you mind sharing your setup with us? I'd like to see how it was done and tuned. pictures would also be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
do you mind sharing your setup with us? I'd like to see how it was done and tuned. pictures would also be nice.
Stock Motor B18B
Stock Automatic Transmission

Mods:
255 lph fuel pump
550cc injectors
Greddy E-Manage Blue
.50 trim turbo
8psi Wastegate
and more thats just the main stuff

Runs rough when not under load (When in Park or Neutral) due to fact E-Manage can only trim the airflow by 20% and the injectors are a tad bit big for the box, but once I go into boost I have the fuel I need.

I will post picture when I get home

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
Hi i just recently bought a 2001 teggy GS. It has an automatic transmission, now my question is should i turbo it or not? Why and why not? (What size of turbo im guessing it would have to be a much smaller turbo than normal people would use.) If yes then what turbo and what psi? First time with an automatic transmission and just curios if i can in fact add a turbo to it. Thank you.
No, you shouldn't. You should swap to manual and then turbo. If you look in the right places you can do a full manual swap for less than $1500 (I bought an entire running integra with all the parts I needed for less than that).

The automatic will zap all the power out of your turbo. You'll be throwing bad money after bad money. It's a waste.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
tlangy
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing