Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i know this stuff has been answered before but i thought it would be easier asking myself.
Im still getting into the car stuff and know my way around. Soon i was planning on buying a new ecu and chipping it.
was looking for a p28 or a p75. now i know i would need an automatic one for now and if i were to buy a p75 for an auto and chip it myself, what would i do after that?
If i were to start trying to tune it would the map on it be wiped from the chip or would i have to tune around the map already on the ecu.( May sound dumb and i know it is, but there is a lot of stuff to look at when doing this and i want to be self taught a little bit.)
My car:
2000 integra gs with auto
full exhaust(headers down, with a test pipe)
Aftermarket intake
Turboing soon, just waiting on a few extra parts.
i have bigger injectors, havent installed due to no turbo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have the computer programs to chip that ECU? What is the plan and why are you chipping it with just regular bolt-ons?
Yes ive done research about some programs and stuff, and like i said im getting the rest of my turbo kit, with injectors. maybe cams later.
and obviously i can just attach a turbo with bigger injectors and drive my car everywhere

·
Administrator
4,554 Posts
Hey i know this stuff has been answered before but i thought it would be easier asking myself.
Im still getting into the car stuff and know my way around. Soon i was planning on buying a new ecu and chipping it.
was looking for a p28 or a p75. now i know i would need an automatic one for now and if i were to buy a p75 for an auto and chip it myself, what would i do after that?
If i were to start trying to tune it would the map on it be wiped from the chip or would i have to tune around the map already on the ecu.( May sound dumb and i know it is, but there is a lot of stuff to look at when doing this and i want to be self taught a little bit.)
My car:
2000 integra gs with auto
full exhaust(headers down, with a test pipe)
Aftermarket intake
Turboing soon, just waiting on a few extra parts.
i have bigger injectors, havent installed due to no turbo
You don't want to chip this yourself. Buy one already chipped, or send it out to have it chipped. There's more to it then installing a socket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't want to chip this yourself. Buy one already chipped, or send it out to have it chipped. There's more to it then installing a socket.
Yes Ive thought of this and most likely will go this route. But I would still like to learn so I can do it myself in the future. And if I buy a chipped board is that basically a blank slate

·
Administrator
4,554 Posts
Yes Ive thought of this and most likely will go this route. But I would still like to learn so I can do it myself in the future. And if I buy a chipped board is that basically a blank slate
Are you planning on chipping multiple ECU's where knowing how to do it is beneficial? Maybe I'm missing the point.

Also - Just noticed....you're using an auto-transmission? Yikes. I hope you're planning on performing a manual-trans swap.

Regardless, you'll need:

• de-soldering braid
  • soldering iron
  • talent
  • 28 pin socket
  • 20 pin - 74hc373n chip
  • 1.1 kOhm resistor
  • (2) .1 uF capacitors
  • a jumper (just use the end of one of the resistor leads you cut off)
  • soldering flux

ECU Chipping Instructions
  1. De-solder all the holes you will need, so basically read and re-read these instructions before starting. And make sure you use the de-solder braid.
  2. Look at the diagram: 1,2,3 and 4 all require some soldering or de-soldering.
  3. At location 1, solder in the 28 pin socket making sure to keep proper orientation, the notch faces the plug side of the ECU.
  4. At location 2, solder a jumper into J1 and the 1.1 kOhm resistor into R54. (look for the white numbers on the circuit board for the actual locations)
  5. At location 3, solder in the two capacitor at locations C51 and C52.
  6. At location 4, install the 20 pin 74hc373n chip, also with the notch facing the plug side of the ECU.
  7. Make sure the ECU is free of debris and solder pieces, I used that Dust-Off compressed air to clean it up. Apply soldering flux on the areas you soldered as well.
  8. Now install your chip into the socket and replace the ecu in the car (battery disconnected!).

Passive circuit component Circuit component Resistor Computer data storage Read-only memory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you planning on chipping multiple ECU's where knowing how to do it is beneficial? Maybe I'm missing the point.

Also - Just noticed....you're using an auto-transmission? Yikes. I hope you're planning on performing a manual-trans swap.

Regardless, you'll need:

• de-soldering braid
  • soldering iron
  • talent
  • 28 pin socket
  • 20 pin - 74hc373n chip
  • 1.1 kOhm resistor
  • (2) .1 uF capacitors
  • a jumper (just use the end of one of the resistor leads you cut off)
  • soldering flux

ECU Chipping Instructions
  1. De-solder all the holes you will need, so basically read and re-read these instructions before starting. And make sure you use the de-solder braid.
  2. Look at the diagram: 1,2,3 and 4 all require some soldering or de-soldering.
  3. At location 1, solder in the 28 pin socket making sure to keep proper orientation, the notch faces the plug side of the ECU.
  4. At location 2, solder a jumper into J1 and the 1.1 kOhm resistor into R54. (look for the white numbers on the circuit board for the actual locations)
  5. At location 3, solder in the two capacitor at locations C51 and C52.
  6. At location 4, install the 20 pin 74hc373n chip, also with the notch facing the plug side of the ECU.
  7. Make sure the ECU is free of debris and solder pieces, I used that Dust-Off compressed air to clean it up. Apply soldering flux on the areas you soldered as well.
  8. Now install your chip into the socket and replace the ecu in the car (battery disconnected!).

View attachment 107402
Yes I know how to solder, and I've seen videos and docs on chipping the ecu. My question was after the chip is put in, is the original base map/tune for the car it was in still going to be on it and I'll have to to my car around that. Or is it like a clean slate and I'd have to put a base map on it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're going to need a base map for sure. When mines got retuned on Crome, the new chip was blank. My buddy downloaded his friend's recent tune and copied it to mines for a base map. Then we went out for a street tune and adjusted all the settings. Then he save that and burned me a new copy.
Ok so if I chip it. Get a blank chip. So that way it will be a blank slate? Then I can put a base map on it

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ok so if I chip it. Get a blank chip. So that way it will be a blank slate? Then I can put a base map on it
Unless you get one with a base map and just tune off that. I don’t know any much more about them. I just watched him remove my old chip and install the new one.

·
Administrator
4,554 Posts
Yes I know how to solder, and I've seen videos and docs on chipping the ecu. My question was after the chip is put in, is the original base map/tune for the car it was in still going to be on it and I'll have to to my car around that. Or is it like a clean slate and I'd have to put a base map on it
I really wish you would be more clear with your questions, because you didn't ask that above.

The vehicle will still have the OEM file on it after it's chipped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really wish you would be more clear with your questions, because you didn't ask that above.

The vehicle will still have the OEM file on it after it's chipped.
I did ask it, in like 2 different ways. That's the reason why researching this is hard. But that's good to know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So once you get the chip kit & install it, and have the chip programmed with a base map, you can revert back to the original map on the ecu by removing the "J1" jumper. But if you are experienced with chip tuning, you put a 2 way switch there instead.

That being said, you can't tune on the fly with a regular chip kit. And I don't think it's worth it. Most of the available basemaps for Crome or neptune are garbage.

You need a custom tune. Which will still never be as good as a stock Honda base. If you want a reliable tuning system that is tuneable on the fly & can be adjusted by pros as well, there is no substitute for the Hondata S300. Anything else is sub par.

I tried "chipping" when I first got into Hondas & over the years. And it sucked. Get a Hondata S300. The hardware is superior & so is the software. Way more information on how to learn to tune. Because that's what professionals use.

The only other alternative, in my humble opinion, is Haltech. But that is way more expensive.

·
Administrator
4,554 Posts
In my opinion is a waste of time and money trying to turbo a Automatic Integra if i was you i would convert my integra to a 5 speed and then i would worry about going turbo
I completely agree. That transmission will implode on itself the moment any additional torque over stock is applied. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So once you get the chip kit & install it, and have the chip programmed with a base map, you can revert back to the original map on the ecu by removing the "J1" jumper. But if you are experienced with chip tuning, you put a 2 way switch there instead.

That being said, you can't tune on the fly with a regular chip kit. And I don't think it's worth it. Most of the available basemaps for Crome or neptune are garbage.

You need a custom tune. Which will still never be as good as a stock Honda base. If you want a reliable tuning system that is tuneable on the fly & can be adjusted by pros as well, there is no substitute for the Hondata S300. Anything else is sub par.

I tried "chipping" when I first got into Hondas & over the years. And it sucked. Get a Hondata S300. The hardware is superior & so is the software. Way more information on how to learn to tune. Because that's what professionals use.

The only other alternative, in my humble opinion, is Haltech. But that is way more expensive.
Ok so with the chip, that's the tune it will use, but with a switch if I did it. It could go back to the map on the ecu. Wish people could explain it as good as you. And I'm fine with doing it the cheap way as I'm not trying for anything crazy and I'm on a budget of course

1 - 16 of 16 Posts