Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have looked around and this topic does not seem to have been covered but anyway i have finally got my alpine v12 amp powering my 6.5 type r's. the only thing that has me stuck is i don't know how to tune the amp properly. right now it is on the stock settings but i would like to tune it to get the best results from my speakers. i know for the best results it depends on the music i listen to. i listen to pretty much of except country

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
you can try here and clicking on Power Handling - Gain Setting.

an alternative method is you can hook up an oscilloscope (if you have one) and see where the signal starts to clip.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is really 3 way of tuning by ears, voltmeter, and oscilloscope. By ears is the most comon but not accurate enough, the voltmeter is very good, and oscilloscope is the most precise.

I've never had an scope so I couldnt tell you much. By ears is decent if you know how to set settings properly. I use the voltmeter method from jl website But also noted my amps are jl too so the reference will not apply to you, but there are procedures there which you will do the same.

here is the formula to figure out the voltage for your amp
Sqrt(Power * Resistance)= Voltage

Like say your amp is 500 RMS @ 4 ohms

Sqrt(500 * 4)= 44.7v <-- should be your output on that channel

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Sigh...

...this is one of those rare moments where I wish we still had some of the OLD audio forum threads (like 2002-3) where I posted a lot of audio engineering info in here.

Tuning an amp...there's more to it than just tweaking some dials.

The use of a device that measures the wave, voltage, etc., whatever...has very little use here besides checking for clipping,, and even then, it's small.

You need to understand the basics. The above links have some good info, but I think lack the whole picture so to speak. The last one from jl is ok for getting an idea of one method of setting gains. Unfortunately, they don't work anything like that in pro audio...a bit more refined there.

After you adjust the gains, what are you going to do w/the rest of knobs and settings? Hmm....

...maybe I should get a big write-up on this again...

I'll leave the rest of it up to you for now...ask questions, learn...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
mmmm..

i'll ask a few to get things rolling:
how do i determine the frequency response curves of my component speakers? of my subwoofer within a given enclosure? is there a site with a database?

is there a way to test for the correct subwoofer phase other than by ear?

where should i set my optimal crossover points? this is based on the reponse curves correct? is it "better" to use the headunit hp/lp filters or the amp hp/lp filters?

if the rear output on my headunit is set to subwoofer, do i really need to connect both the left and right channel?

(slightly OT) how to understand parametric eq settings in my headunit?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts

Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook...great book to start with. It goes through the physics of sound reinforcement. Not much enclosure acoustics, but everything else is there. It applies to car audio just as much.

Testing phase by ear is rather difficult. Just like engine building, you have to look at a stereo as an entire system. So, when it comes to phase of a subwoofer, conflicts between that and your other speakers are little if the overlap in frequency production is little to none. However, that's not always the case.

Here's the problem w/sub phase controllers...they offer 0 and 180 degrees. That doesn't do much at all. To really control the phase, you need to adjust it between those. Time and phase...by delaying time, you change the phase. Alpine decks have this capablility (some that is) as well as others. The best way to set that is to measure the distance bwt. the sub and listener, and do the math from there. People will tell you that reverse phase is best for the sub if it's facing x position or whatever, but that really is about the same as someone saying AEM makes the best parts, period. See where I'm going...

Again, this same theory applies to every speaker in your system. I should mention that there's another way to test for phase, but requires the use of much more expensive equipment. Keyword though...look for a device that can test "time delay spectrometry" in its features (TEF is the main one). However, I wouldn't expect anyone to shell out the $ for that. Instead, if you have a pocket pc, many companies are making really powerful pieces to add-on to this that can do many of these features (not sure about TDS yet though).

Freq. response of a speaker...sub in an enclosure...best way to test response is again, w/a proper testing device. Always use the right tool for the job...i.e. don't bring a knife to gun fight. If not, by ear works if you have trained your ear, which takes some experience (re: lots).

Crossover points...this is all based on each setup again. And another can of worms that I don't want go into yet, heh.

Parametric EQs...instead of typing, I need to find a good link for this stuff.

Any thoughts on what I've typed out yet? Anyone? Is this worth it, haha...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.