Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 GSR and my manual does not say when I should change my cap, wires, and rotor. Does anyone have a suggestion? Should I get an oem cap and rotor or is there something better? Which brand of plugs are best for a GSR? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
stock cap, stock rotor, stock plugs, stock wires...those are all you need unless you have turbo or an ignition system - stock is good for a lot of applications.

oh and it should be in the back of your owner's manual under the "Scheduled Maintanence" where it describes the mileage for the tune-up and what that entails...read up, son, read up!

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Cap and rotor shoudl be done every 2 years or so, I do my plugs around every 30 w/ NGK stock plugs, I replaced me stock wires at 100k w/ SParco 9mm Tripple core wires.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Furious94LS on Sep/18/02 said:
Cap and rotor shoudl be done every 2 years or so, I do my plugs around every 30 w/ NGK stock plugs, I replaced me stock wires at 100k w/ SParco 9mm Tripple core wires.
Why should the cap/rotor be replaced every 2 years? What is the point of doing that? Because I don't see how it would hinder performace or anything unless it was broken. The spark plugs are good until 90k aren't they for the tegs?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Maniacal on Jan/09/04 said:
Will a honda dealer carry a cap and rotor for my 92ls. Acura dealer is about 30 min. dont really want to go that far
pep boys or autozone or a place like that would probably have it cheaper than the dealer. also, the honda dealer by me WILL NOT supply acura parts... not sure if that is true everywhere, but thats what i was told when i asked about acura parts at the honda dealership. maybe its because acura is right next door.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey Furious maybe u can help me. My car wont start!!!. I cant get a spark out the plugs. I took off the Dist. cap and rotor and sanded the conections like it said at autozone.com, but it still wont start. and damn its cold. What should I check next. Ive been searching and havent found anything yet. Ill keep searching.

·
Registered
491 Posts
[/QUOTE]
pep boys or autozone or a place like that would probably have it cheaper than the dealer. also, the honda dealer by me WILL NOT supply acura parts... not sure if that is true everywhere, but thats what i was told when i asked about acura parts at the honda dealership. maybe its because acura is right next door.

[/QUOTE]
yeah I would go to autozone or any other part store but all the searching i did said just get OEM

·
Registered
365 Posts
Honda does supply Acura parts but they can't look up part #'s for you so the only way you can get acura parts from honda is if the part is interchangeable on a Honda. For example, I bought front\rear brake pads at honda for my integra, the same pads are used on the 99-00 civic si. The guy had no clue when I asked him so I called acura's part dept. and got the part #'s and verified.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
In the owners manual for a 99 it doesn't say when to replace the cap and rotor or the wires. I am about to change my spark plugs(she's about to hit 60k). All the other maintenance was done at around 45k since I didn't know what the previous owner did. I'll change my cap, rotor and wires at 75k along with everything listed under A,B,C, and D in the manual.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Maniacal on Jan/09/04 said:

yeah I would go to autozone or any other part store but all the searching i did said just get OEM
i would definitely recommend OEM plugs (NGK Platinum) but wires are wires, and plastic is plastic... cap, rotor, and wires don't have to be OEM... just good quality like bosch or NGK.

·
Registered
1998 Integra
1,113 Posts
Personally I only use OEM Acura/Honda cap and rotors. They may be a few dollars more. on other applications I have experienced problems with inferior quality of aftermarket caps/rotors. The way that I look at it, Honda uses a part that is within their design specifications and the manufacturer of that part has met or exceeded that specification.

A cap and rotor will not increase engine output unless the old parts are old and worn out. This is why I go with OEM Honda parts in cases like this. Same should go for plug wires but I just ordered NGK.

Caps and rotors are more than just plastic. There are various types of conductive material formed into a certain type of plastic. Some of the problems that I have had with aftermarket caps and rotors;

1) Condensation forming in the caps. Either from not properly sealing or very fine cracks in the plastic.
2) Conductive material corroding and creating high resistance connections
3) Cap splitting. Actually left me stranded when the cap fell apart.

Not so serious problems;

1) OEM caps have the screws permenantly in the cap. They don't fall out and get lost.
2) OEM caps (maybe the aftermarkets do) come with the "O" ring seal between the cap and the distributor.

Personally I would inspect the cap and rotor for corrosion and wear. But I would recommend changing the cap, rotor, and wires every 25-30k miles.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
NGK plug wires are OEM for the integra. GSR's should have new spark plugs every 60k and the B18B engines can go 90k.
Changing your distributor cap, rotor, and wires at 30k miles is a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
B18B needs spark plugs changed every 90k? Are you drunk?! Try 30k! And NGK's can be bought at Discount Auto Parts, about $10 for the set.

Also, my stock wires are Sumitomo, and I am 100% sure they are stock. They may have changed for later years.

·
Registered
1998 Integra
1,113 Posts
Louse76 on Jan/10/04 said:
B18B needs spark plugs changed every 90k? Are you drunk?! Try 30k! And NGK's can be bought at Discount Auto Parts, about $10 for the set.

Also, my stock wires are Sumitomo, and I am 100% sure they are stock. They may have changed for later years.
My original wires were Sumitomo as well.

·
Registered
1998 Integra
1,113 Posts
Here are a couple of photos of the contact points on an OEM cap and rotor with 40k on them.

The wires should be able to go a lot longer than 30k. When I pulled my wires with 40k on them I checked them IAW the Helms Manual and they were still well within specifications. However, that is only a resistance ohm check. The Helms inspection does not consider any tears or the possibility of moisture getting into the plug wires.

From what I have found in the past, AutoZone only sells Wells, Beck/Arnley, and Conrad caps and rotors. Comparing those to a $15.94 OEM cap and $13.25 OEM rotor, the few dollars saved isn't worth it.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Louse76 on Jan/10/04 said:
I wish I had my manual with me. Somebody check, I know it's not 30k. I was looking at it a couple weeks ago. I thinks it's on par with 90k.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts