Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I attempted to rotate my tires because the front tread is wearing out. I took off the lug nuts from the rear right wheel but the rim did not come off. I thought maybe the tire didn't have enough clearance off the floor so I checked it and there were more than 2 inches off the floor. I tried to keep pulling the rim out but it would not move at all. I took a rubber mallet and banged on the inner side of the tire a good bit but that did nothing. I was stumped so I decided to do it another day since it was getting dark. I'm thinking now that my rim is rusted or seized onto the hub? I've had the car for 3 months and this is my first attempt at removing a wheel from the teg. It came from Illinois and Michigan where it snowed a lot and there is a significant amount of rust on the undercarriage. I sprayed some penetrating spray onto the hub but nothing helped. If anyone has any ideas on how I can remove the rim, please do so because I need more traction in the front soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
buddy, you have to give it a good kick or somthin. Rubber mallet, crane kick, judo chop, whatever you prefer. I was hesitant my first time but you gotta knock em on any edge a few times until they fall off. Dont worry you wont hurt anything if you use somthin dull. Just keep at it. my best advice is sit on the ground, aim your foot and fire away at a corner of it and it will go. The further away from the center of the rim you kick it, the more force pulling it away from the rest. Don't be nervous, you wont break anything. Just beat the hell out of it. A metal bat would work good for this purpose, just dont miss

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
kick the living piss out of it, nothing will be damaged. i have had to do this sooooo many times. just beat the hell out of it with your foot, a mallet or something...

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Yeah, the rears can get stuck on there pretty good. Keep in mind, everything there is designed to take the loads of you're car cornering, so feel free to kick it's ass.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
PapaDizzle on Mar/21/04 said:
buddy, you have to give it a good kick or somthin. Rubber mallet, crane kick, judo chop, whatever you prefer. I was hesitant my first time but you gotta knock em on any edge a few times until they fall off. Dont worry you wont hurt anything if you use somthin dull. Just keep at it. my best advice is sit on the ground, aim your foot and fire away at a corner of it and it will go. The further away from the center of the rim you kick it, the more force pulling it away from the rest. Don't be nervous, you wont break anything. Just beat the hell out of it. A metal bat would work good for this purpose, just dont miss
This is possibly some of the worst advice I have seen in a long time. Kicking a car that is either up on jackstands or just on a jack is dangerous,jackstands and jacks are not secure at all and I have heard of quite a few people getting messed up doing that. Also a metal bat might scratch the rim. Get a dead blow hammer or some big hammer and wrap it in a towel and hit the rim and itll hit off. THe other reason you dont want to kick it is because you could potentially screw up the threads on the studs as well. So just be careful and whack it with something soft but weighty. B.T.W. not trying to be an ass, just would be horrible to hear someone broke their leg or worse because they tried to kick their tire off.

-Ed

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
i did a post about this couple weeks back but yeah.. use a rubber mallet and hit it from the backside.. di the trick for me...... good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies. I now feel more secure knowing that I can put more strength into getting the rim off. I will try using my rubber mallet again tomorrow and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
At work if one is stuck all we do is kick it pretty hard and it comes off... just make sure it doesnt fall on its face if you care about the rim

·
Registered
789 Posts
Shadowhunter on Mar/21/04 said:
Quote: PapaDizzle on Mar/21/04buddy, you have to give it a good kick or somthin. Rubber mallet, crane kick, judo chop, whatever you prefer. I was hesitant my first time but you gotta knock em on any edge a few times until they fall off. Dont worry you wont hurt anything if you use somthin dull. Just keep at it. my best advice is sit on the ground, aim your foot and fire away at a corner of it and it will go. The further away from the center of the rim you kick it, the more force pulling it away from the rest. Don't be nervous, you wont break anything. Just beat the hell out of it. A metal bat would work good for this purpose, just dont miss This is possibly some of the worst advice I have seen in a long time. Kicking a car that is either up on jackstands or just on a jack is dangerous,jackstands and jacks are not secure at all and I have heard of quite a few people getting messed up doing that. Also a metal bat might scratch the rim. Get a dead blow hammer or some big hammer and wrap it in a towel and hit the rim and itll hit off. THe other reason you dont want to kick it is because you could potentially screw up the threads on the studs as well. So just be careful and whack it with something soft but weighty. B.T.W. not trying to be an ass, just would be horrible to hear someone broke their leg or worse because they tried to kick their tire off.

-Ed
Responsibly of course. Knockin the wheel off doesnt require nearly the amount of force to knock the car off the stands, and if you know people who managed to do it, call them dumbasses for me. As far as the metal bat, I did say don't miss

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I work at a garage and we get guys in all the time who want new rims and tires and when we go to take off the old rims they are stuck. What we do is take a rubber mallet and beat the crap out of it from the back side until the rim gets lose enough to pull off. Just be careful because, like it was mentioned before, jacks and jack stands arn't always that stable. They do have a tendancy to fall over so just be really careful. And you might want to get your tires aligned again after your rotate them. Good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I accept not responsibility if you get hurt but I always kick the piss out of mine and never have had a problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't think about that. After all, I am beating the crap out of the tires so would that cause any camber/toe problems?

·
Registered
235 Posts
acurasquirrel on Mar/22/04 said:
I accept no responsibility if you get hurt but I always kick the piss out of mine and never have had a problem.
Yeah, Like he said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts