Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a black widow spoiler on my trunk and everytime the temp gets down below 20F or so it seems like the shocks arent holding up as well. anyone have this problem with your G3? it holds fine in better weather which leads me to believe that perhaps shocks just dont work well in severe cold weather. anyone can shine a light on this?

·
Registered
948 Posts
That sounds about right. Shocks work by compressing gas with the force of the hatch locking mechanism. When you release the latch, the gas expands and extends the shocks.

Pressure varies linearly with temperature, so when the temperature decreases, so does the pressure inside the shocks. Less pressure means less force pushing on the piston inside the shock which means less force holding up your hatch. Even in cold weather the shocks should work just fine, however as they age, then tend to leak a bit and don't work as well.

This is a warning sign for you that your shocks are on the way out OR simply can't provide enough force when cold to support yoru aftermarket spoiler.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very well explained! thanks bro. i thought that was it too...i guess i'll live with that for the time being. i hardly ever drive it in the winter anyways, plus i might get rid of the spoiler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts