Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to remove my ball joint last night from the lower control arm and it would not give. What is the easiest way to accomplish this task. I was looking at c-speedracing.com and they have instructions. I first tried to use a lever type ball joint remover, but that did not work. Then I tried to hit the nub on the lower arm. but I'm not sure if I hitting it the right way.

Any help, please!!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
i need to know how right know. im trying to install a camber kit but i cant get the stupid ball joint dislodged. i need some tips QUICK.

·
Registered
569 Posts
GotSmoked, I need to know how to get top ball joint out. Did you remove this?
I looked all over this site and can't find anything on removing the ball joints.

·
Registered
869 Posts
i never found any real help. my camber kit is just sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

i find it HARD to beleive that nobody on this HUGE site has installed a front camber kit on a g3.

please post some help fellas.

·
Registered
869 Posts
just got back from autozone, rented a ball joint separater for $15. ill let you know how it works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same prob right now. I cant get the balljoint off with anything. I tried the separator from autozone but with no luck. It is seriously seized. After using the separator, I was basically left with a destroyed balljoint that was still stuck!

I've also tried using a puller and a crowbar. No luck.

If I ever get it out I'll post what I did.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Uh, what kind of camber kit is it? I had a Specialty Products and now I have an Ingalls and I never had to remove the lower balljoint to install either one...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well assuming you removed the cotter pin and the nut (duh), my dad and I had to used a iron pipe and sledge hammer...no joke.
[*]Place multiple layers of towels over fender[*]Place pipe on lower control arm[*]Have someone beat the crap outta the opposite end of pipe[/list]

Neouser...do you get sqeaking (my friends G2 camber kit rubbed metal on metal somewhere) from either of those camber kits? Any reason you switched from one to the other?

·
Registered
396 Posts
can't remember how I got mine off...But I remember it was a pain...I think we beat on it with a hammer till it loosened up...But becareful not to strip the threads...

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is the tool you are going to need, like 10 bucks at autozone. Click here for tool

Like they say on overboost... "its worth its weight in gold". When you pry it off, please make sure, I repeat, make SURE that you have the nut on the bolt at the very bottom. And that there is no thread showing from the bolt at the bottom. Because if you don't do it, you will "mushroom" the thread from the bolt, trust me you do NOT want to do this. It happened to me, and I had to re-thread the bolt, which is very difficult considering it will be screwed up from the very bottom. Here is a link for a suspension install from overboost. Read through it, it will really help you.

And as Neo mentioned above, I don't believe it is necessary to remove the lower control arm bolt to install the camber kit, but I posted this for others to use.

P.S. - Remember, don't "mushroom" that bolt!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote: born2speed on Jul/31/02 I was trying to remove my ball joint last night from the lower control arm and it would not give. What is the easiest way to accomplish this task. I was looking at c-speedracing.com and they have instructions. I first tried to use a lever type ball joint remover, but that did not work. Then I tried to hit the nub on the lower arm. but I'm not sure if I hitting it the right way.

Any help, please!!!!
[/QUOTE]where did you find the how-to at c-speedracing.com? i looked all over the site and couldnt find it, i want to get an idea of what to do to replace the lower ball joint in my 92

·
Registered
17 Posts
born2speed on Jul/31/02 said:
I was trying to remove my ball joint last night from the lower control arm and it would not give. What is the easiest way to accomplish this task. I was looking at c-speedracing.com and they have instructions. I first tried to use a lever type ball joint remover, but that did not work. Then I tried to hit the nub on the lower arm. but I'm not sure if I hitting it the right way.

Any help, please!!!!
where did you find the how-to on cspeedracing.com? i looked all over the site and couldnt find it, i need to replace my lower ball joint as the threads are stripped and i cannot reinstall my lower control arm.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dr_GSR on Jun/02/03 said:
This is the tool you are going to need, like 10 bucks at autozone. Click here for tool

Like they say on overboost... "its worth its weight in gold". When you pry it off, please make sure, I repeat, make SURE that you have the nut on the bolt at the very bottom. And that there is no thread showing from the bolt at the bottom. Because if you don't do it, you will "mushroom" the thread from the bolt, trust me you do NOT want to do this.

P.S. - Remember, don't "mushroom" that bolt!!
I'll vouch for this. I did the same thing on my gf's Civic, and I ended up replacing the lower balljoint. What a pain.

And definitely get this tool; it's a lot better than beating on things with a hammer, as long as you remember to put the nut on the bottom of the balljoint stud.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
put a jack under the control arm and lift it slightly just a little pressure... then tap the arm where there is a little nipple to tap it at.. can you belive the manufactur put that there just so you could seperate the balljoints ..wow A+ honda anyways a few hits and it will seperate.. use a ballpeen hammer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts