Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While attempting to swap my non-broken b18b1 into my integra, I finally got to putting the transmission on the new engine. However, after unbolting the transmission from the engine, I'm having problems separating the transmission and engine. Any tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try it on my integra yet but typically there is at least one locating pin in the bellhousing on the trans so you will either need to anchor the engine and pull on the transmission hard (mild wiggle back and forth until there is a small gap) and then use pry bar (wrapped in a shop rag or something to avoid marring the seating surface and work your way around the bellhousing. I've used that method for multiple VW and Jeep transmissions over the years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been trying to use a pry bar, and I have a decent gap, but It still wont break free

·
Registered
9 Posts
How is the engine being supported while trying to break the transmission free? Is it on the floor? Engine Stand? Engine bolted to the car still?

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
It needs to be supported somehow to separate it. I forget how many, but it sits on dowels in addition to the bolts. if you have the transmission supported from underneath, it will take the pressure/tension off of the dowels and should slide off with a little persuasion. I had luck using a pry bar near the front of the car where the motor ant tranny meet.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
When I did clutch jobs on jack stands. I use a hydraulic jack with a block of wood but be careful because I had a transmission almost fell off the jack. It's always good to have a helper with you. The hardest part about that is aligning the transmission back up to mate with the engine.

Now I do everything on a 2 post lift and transmission jack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the transmission separated, but trying to get it to line up with my other motor is the hard part now. It's on the floor, btw

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Are you doing this in the engine bay or out of the engine bay?

You going to need another person grabbing it from the top and use a jack to lift the transmission in place with you maneuver the transmission in place while the dowel pin goes in first. If you get frustrated walk away for a bit so you won't injure yourself or do any damage and try again after you calm down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
phatintegra
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing