Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED, CHECK END OF THIS PAGE

I’ve been having some recent issues shifting, and figured I’d post up my troubles for some other opinions.
Background: B18B1 motor with ITR tranny/lsd, and LS 5th gear.

I did rip this tranny apart before installing and noticed some wear on the synchros, but not enough to warrant replacement (as far as I could judge) All clearances were checked as per helms manual.

All gears shift smoothly when car is off/or idling

1st and 2nd gear – generally shift well, second sometimes feels a bit rough, occasional grind when redline first gear and upshift to second, but inconsistently and rarely.

3rd – the worst gear by far. Above 2900 rpm I encounter a wall when I up/down shift, I can push through the wall with a bit of effort (hard push) and the gear will engage without grinding. As the rpm increases the wall gets firmer and takes more effort to slam into the gear.

4th – Same issues as 3rd gear, but not as prevalent, the wall is not as hard and doesn’t take as much effort to shift into, but still becomes more difficult to shift into as the rpm increases. Occasional/rare small grind 3rd gear redline into 4th gear.

5th – Similar issues to 3, 4 but the wall is very soft, minimal resistance, just makes me pause for a split second, barely even interrupts my shift. Occasional light grind.

OBSERVATIoNS:

Changed tranny fluid recently using the new Honda MTF

I have inspected my shift linkage, and both bars ‘appear’ to be in good condition and unbent.

I have removed the clutch cover to see if I could find any large particles/pieces (such as a spring) and found nothing (although the area is small and difficult to see/feel into.

The ‘wall’ I encounter in 3rd and 4th is the same (as far as I can feel) wall when I try and shift into a gear without using the clutch (I bring the car upto ~40 m/hr and clutch into neutral, then release clutch (idle rpm) and try to bring shifter into 3 or 4 and it will not grind, just stops)

The gears that have a ‘wall’ all happen to be on the mainshaft and diminish as stated above, ie: the physically larger the gear gets the less of a wall.

CoNCLUSIoNS:

So far these are my theories:

1. Synchros are shot – weird, because all these issues started happening at once about 3 weeks ago, and no I didn’t do any maintenance during that period. Also I believed the gears would grind when forced if the synchros were fubar’d, but they don’t.

2. Clutch is not properly disengaging – I’m not getting any weird sounds like others have reported when a flywheel bolt comes loose. I also don’t know if its possible for the clutch to partially disengage, or why it would only do so in 3rd gear and up. So I’ve put this one on the backburner.

3. Hydraulic system – is my clutch not disengaging fast enough at higher rpm? But yet again, why in 3rd and up, and that occasional 1st to 2nd redline shift?

Any ideas or known/similar issues and how they were rectified would be most helpful.

-Steve

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had that issues with an LS trans in my Integra, and it was the synchros. I would shift from first to second with the same issues as you when shifting from redline; only the occassional grind. 2nd to 3rd gear was at first nearly impossible. During normal smooth driving, it would be slightly difficult to select the gear but wasn't as bad as at the limit. To make a long story short, eventually it was so bad that 3rd was nonexistent. I wouldn't have been able to put it into 3rd even if every person on this forum paid me $1,000. Installed a low mileage GS-R trans in, kept same Exedy organic cluth and ACT streetlite flywheel and is smooth like butta now. So its highly unlikely you have any real drivetrain issues other than the fact that if I had an ITR trans in an LS i'd probably beat the **** out of it too. Check out gearspeed for a set of their carbon coated synchros.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When your third gear was "almost impossible" to shift into, when you finally did get it was it grinding into gear, or smoothly into gear?

·
Registered
554 Posts
When 3rd gear was "almost impossible", it would go into gear if i rev matched, otherwise it would rarely go in. After a while, any many races, it wouldn't go into gear at all! Almost as if it wasn't there. It would simply grind baaad.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MeltMan on Sep/13/07 said:
If the brass synchro's weren't worn, did you look at the synchro sleeves?

The sleeves are what hit the dogteeth gears and grind and are usually the most chewed up part inside.
The sleeves looked like they were developing flat spots on the teeth, but it appeared very minor. I guess I know the difference between minor and problem now. :(

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ripped the clutch out, I'm pretty sure this is the culprit:

What its supposed to look like on all 4 spring sides:

What it actually looks like on one of those sides:

And on the opposite side of the friction disk:
Note the ground down spring edges.

We seperated the friction disk to check it out for interests sake, so thats why there is no friction surface shown in the first two pics.

Now if my clutch kit ever comes in... I'll be able to update to confirm this is the reason I feel the "wall" when shifting.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last update:

My problems were indeed related directly to that clutch piece coming off. The tranny is back up and shifts like its supposed to.

UFI: A competition clutch stage 2 clutch feels very similar to stock,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.