Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the difference between transmission oil and transmission fluid is? I wanted to change the fluid, so I went to the article "how to change transmission fluid, and it said to buy "transmission oil". Is there a difference? And does anyone know where I can buy the redline transmission oil in san francisco? It's hard to find! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Transmission oil is a type of fluid :) So you could call it transmission fluid as well hehe

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what I was thinking! heheh... I was about to think san francisco doesn't have everything, but I found a place that sells Redline products, and my mechanic friend is going to do my 30,000 mile service for me... I just have to buy the parts!..And the dealer was charging almost $600.00! pshhh-thanks for the clarification guys!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
WHOAH now! hold on auto trannies use ATF or automatic transmission fluid, the red stuff, which is also referred to (incorrectly) as transmission oil. DO NOT get this confused with manual transmissions, which use OIL. yes motor oil, the yellowish liquid that turns black with time. so the technical manuals refer to this (correctly) as transmission oil. so be cafeful you dont put the wrong stuff in. either way you can get what you need from REDLINE, but make sure you get the right stuff.
MTF-Manual transmission Fluid,
ATF-AUTO...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's on the passenger side of the transmission for a manual. I just wanted to warn you guys about not using Honda geniune transmission fluid; it's a bad idea. Go ahead and find out for yourself, but everyone I know who's ever used something else in a Honda regretted it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i just got my trans fluid changed and its hard to get out of 1st/into 3rd gear. going into 3rd was always a little hard but getting out of first just started after i hit a huge pothole. hopefully it is just the fluid

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
hold on auto trannies use ATF or automatic transmission fluid, the red stuff, which is also referred to (incorrectly) as transmission oil

ATF is an oil, it just has different additives and weight than MTF and regular motor oil.

Quote: but everyone I know who's ever used something else in a Honda regretted it.
I switched from Honda MTF to redline, to syncroshift, and after each switch my tranny shifted smoother and got less notchy. I am loving syncroshift, no regrets!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
you are correct in that, almost all hydraulic fluids have lubricative properties or additives and can be classified as OIL, I was trying to prevent people from associatin ATF with motor oil, and F'ing up thier Tranny.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
They are both called fluid, if you buy the Honda stuff it says MTF on the bottle, or Manual Transmission Fluid. The auto stuff says ATF. They are of course both oil-based fluids, so you could call them whatever.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
-Sigh-
yes same difference let me see if I can explain a litttle better:
Case one: a friend of mine ruined his manual transmission because a "mechanic" said that he should use Gear oil. Gear oil? yeah, since that is what a transmission is. Oh Okay.....

Case two: this is something that actually hapened here. Newbie (with an auto) posts "What weight oil do I need for my transmission?" the reason he asked this is because he was told he needed to change his transmission oil, not his transmission fluid. Luckily we caught on before he wrecked his tranny.

the fundamental point I am trying to make is this: Manual transmissions need lubrication, while Automatics need hydraulic fluid with lubricative properties.
therefore when referring to the fluids used you should NOT say Automatic transmission oil.
If you are unsure of what ATF does then check it out HERE

MisterGSR on Aug/26/02 said:
Can someone tell me what the difference between transmission oil and transmission fluid is? I wanted to change the fluid, so I went to the article "how to change transmission fluid, and it said to buy "transmission oil". Is there a difference?
I think we wrapped this one up quite nicely, Don't you think?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Jacksont001 on Aug/29/02 said:
WHOAH now! hold on auto trannies use ATF or automatic transmission fluid, the red stuff, which is also referred to (incorrectly) as transmission oil. DO NOT get this confused with manual transmissions, which use OIL. yes motor oil, the yellowish liquid that turns black with time. so the technical manuals refer to this (correctly) as transmission oil. so be cafeful you dont put the wrong stuff in. either way you can get what you need from REDLINE, but make sure you get the right stuff.
MTF-Manual transmission Fluid,
ATF-AUTO...
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but what weight oil do i need for a 96 ls manual transmission? And I can just use synthetic motor oil and it will be the right thing?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
sigh...DO NOT use synthetic motor oil...the helms says it is only for temporary emergency use or something like that...do yourself a favor and go to the dealership closest to you and just ask them for Honda MTF.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts