Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Need a recommendation. But first some background. I purchased a 1999 LS Integra in 2018 with 226k on it for 1000 dollars cash, over the course if a year me and my two older brothers rebuilt the engine and the transmission; which is automatic and a story within it self. We haven't done anything crazy to it and I intend to keep it as stock as possible. As of now it's got an AEM cold air intake and that's it for the 'preformance' side of things. We lowered it, mounted all the strut bars, sway bar and new sus from eibach. Recently we got around to finally installing a gauge housing on the drivers side USDM, and set it up for engine oil pressure and transmission temperature. We did some research on the tranny and we found that the highest you should reach is around 215-225 and ours gets up to 250 after driving around at 60 for awhile. We decided to opt in for a transmission cooler. But I'm not sure which one would be best as this I'm assuming is pretty unique, seems like most people just swap out the automatics for manuals. But I want to keep the car stock for the most part. Willing to spend 100_175 smackaroos. I would like this car to have a loooong life since it is my favorite car since I was 13. And now I have one that I love. :)

·
Administrator
3,774 Posts
I think a transmission cooler is a band-aid for a possible underlying issue. These automatic transmissions should not require a transmission cooler, especially, a stock one. However, I'd start with simplicity first, before attempting to diagnose the transmission:

1. What type of temp sensor is being utilized
2. Where is it located?
3. Is it seeing actual AT fluid temps, or could it be getting a false reading from surrounding components?

Lastly, I would drive the vehicle, then immediately extract some AT fluid and check the temp with another sensor (a meat thermometer would be a good start). Verify the temp on your gauge & sensor first to rule out any incorrect data that it's portraying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply, so we installed the temperature sensor inside the tube that send the tranny fluid to the cooler inside the radiator. I'll check to see if the reader is accurate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a transmission cooler is a band-aid for a possible underlying issue. These automatic transmissions should not require a transmission cooler, especially, a stock one. However, I'd start with simplicity first, before attempting to diagnose the transmission:

1. What type of temp sensor is being utilized
2. Where is it located?
3. Is it seeing actual AT fluid temps, or could it be getting a false reading from surrounding components?

Lastly, I would drive the vehicle, then immediately extract some AT fluid and check the temp with another sensor (a meat thermometer would be a good start). Verify the temp on your gauge & sensor first to rule out any incorrect data that it's portraying.
Yeah the temps are correct, I dont know if it would help but it only gets super hot after heavy pulls, like 110 to 120mph. I'm sure you know a lot more than me. I figured we should install a cooler anyways for longevity sake. Also sick teg. 770whp is whack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts