Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m gonna change my clutch on Fri. Having never removed the transmission from under the car, I want to make sure I wont be surprised by some crazy obstacle preventing me from getting it out.
I have the haynes manual but I wanna ask someone whos done it in case there was any weirdness you’ve encountered. (And I searched for this too =] )
So here goes:

Top:

I know all this stuff. Clutch cable, etc. I’m Just worried about whats gonna get that trans to physically come out.

Bottom:
-I know I need to remove the front and pass side motor mounts.
-Remove pass axle.
-Disconnect exhaust from header.
-disconnect shift linkage
-remove starter

Basically, when everything that is holding the trans in is disconnected, will it come right out, or is there a great deal of wiggling and angling involved? Not looking for crazy detail here just you guys’s experiences. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey GS90, this is my first post on this site, but having done that to many times I can let you know that both axles have to come out. on the pass side just pop the lower ball joint and have someone hold it back and the axle will come out threw the fork. on the drivers side remove the lower ball joint and axle bracket, pop out the axle and support it under the car. That side won't fit threw the fork because of the bracket. Also the linkage pin can sometimes be a major pain, a short 1/4" extension is great for starting it then find a small bolt that fit in the hole to tap it the rest of the way out, the book says to use a punch but sometimes they crack off inside the linkage. After everything is disconnected, support it with a jack, it will take some jarring to get the input shaft out and the tranny over, down and out. hth
Cheers

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Jmunk on Mar/23/04 said:
Takes some wiggling to get it out.
takes some wiggling to get it back in too. do a search, and check the articles... theres some good info here on how to do it.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Getting it of is the easy part, just tap it with a mallet on either side until the dowels come of, then slide it out of the clutch disk before lowering it.

Getting it back up, ah, now that's more interesting.

I've done it two ways, the easy way when I took the motor out of the car on a lift, and the hard way, me and a friend with a floor jack, some pieces of MDF, and a case of beer.

The second way (the first is self explanetory), I built a ghetto ass transmission jack which was bassicly a square of MDF with another couple of pieces of MDF on one side to keep it level. The tranny wouldnt go under the car under the jack and youre's may not either. To get around this, I bolted the top tranny mount back on and looped some rope around the random unexplicable metal thing thats attached to the top of it. Then I reached down, grabbed the bellhousing, and lifted it up with one arm down on the housing and the other pulling up on the rope (cover you're fenders with something or you'll rub you're paint of). This requires a little muscle, as it's hard to get leverage, so be prepared.

Anyway, transmission on ghetto fab leveling plank, proceed with raising it.

You'll quickly realize that the tranny wont go straight up, it's just not gonna fit. After dicking around, I realized the only way to do it was to angle it so the diff would clear the subframe.

once it starts getting up to engine level, start trying to rotate it to line it up with the motor while simulatenously raising it. I have no idea how in gods name my splines lined up, but they did, and miraculously, we raised it, turned it, and totally suprised the both of us when it slid into place.

once you get the shaft in, the easiest way to get it back on the block is to put a couple of bolts through into it and pull it on with them.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
SilverFoxTeg on Mar/23/04 said:
Hey GS90, this is my first post on this site, but having done that to many times I can let you know that both axles have to come out. on the pass side just pop the lower ball joint and have someone hold it back and the axle will come out threw the fork. on the drivers side remove the lower ball joint and axle bracket, pop out the axle and support it under the car. That side won't fit threw the fork because of the bracket. Also the linkage pin can sometimes be a major pain, a short 1/4" extension is great for starting it then find a small bolt that fit in the hole to tap it the rest of the way out, the book says to use a punch but sometimes they crack off inside the linkage. After everything is disconnected, support it with a jack, it will take some jarring to get the input shaft out and the tranny over, down and out. hth
Cheers
First time I did mine I had enough room to swing a big f**king hammer really hard and got it out. When I was under the car I couldnt get it to budge whatsoever, so I just disconnected the linkage at the shifter, if you do this, make sure you remeber to slide the linkage back on top of the exhaust before you start raising the transmission back up, because it wont go up there once it's in place.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot guys! I appreciate all the advice. I recently had the motor and trans out (Engine swap in my gravel driveway by myself =] ) so at least everything I have to remove wont be all frozen on. Friday is the day so wish me luck.

I'll have pics of the whole process if someone wants to make a tutorial or somethin.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
885 Posts
im actually in the process of doing this right now surprisingly...and ur right that shift linkage pin is a *****, we cant get it out, also the bolt for the rear motor mount is a *****...thanks for the help guys...and gs90 i might need those pics lol, and if u happen to have access to a lift...by all means please use it...a 3 ton jack, some stands and a fairly large assortment of air tools...this is still a major pain in the ass

·
Registered
51 Posts
The article should set you up nicely. I swapped in a tranny and clutch last weekend and want to throw out the sugestion to disconnect the radius rod? from the lower A-arm on the tranny side. The rod isn't a problem on G3 and 5th gen and up Civics, but it's a hassle to push the tranny past on G2s. It'll go, but you have more wiggle room if it's disconnected.
Good luck

·
Registered
885 Posts
hey, my friends and i have been working on this here and there for a few days, we got the tranny out and its on the floor, but the clutch is still in, isnt it supposed to come out with the tranny?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mpg_90_RS on Mar/28/04 said:
hey, my friends and i have been working on this here and there for a few days, we got the tranny out and its on the floor, but the clutch is still in, isnt it supposed to come out with the tranny?
Nope. Its bolted to the engine

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mpg_90_RS on Mar/25/04 said:
im actually in the process of doing this right now surprisingly...and ur right that shift linkage pin is a *****, we cant get it out, also the bolt for the rear motor mount is a *****...thanks for the help guys...and gs90 i might need those pics lol, and if u happen to have access to a lift...by all means please use it...a 3 ton jack, some stands and a fairly large assortment of air tools...this is still a major pain in the ass
That pin can kiss my a$$! When I did my engine swap, it took me half a day to get it out. I even baught a tool specifically for punching out those pins bit it didnt work. I ended up buying a carbide (sp?) dremel bit and bored it out. I replaced it with a nut and bolt with the plastic locking tip. Screw that pin. I hate it =P

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
mpg_90_RS on Mar/28/04 said:
read the article man, it's all in there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts