Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres my issue

i need to know if switching to a LS 5th gear will help get me a higher speed at lower rpm or when i get my trans rebuilt should i get a new final gear put in to get a speed increase and rpm drop

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Either of those options will get you the same goal, depending on the overall gear ratios. So you can replace either the 5th gear or FD (or both) to get a speed increase + rpm drop. I have an LS transmission with the stock 4.266 FD. At 80mph, I'm at ~3600rpm.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so what gearing will get me to around 2200-2800 rpm at 80MPH?
The reason i ask is b/c i am getting my trans rebuilt in a month or so and it is getting all new gears so i said what the hell go ahead and get what i want but with not knowing anything about gears or ratios im s.o.l.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There are plenty of options to get your RPM's higher, but to my knowledge, there are no gears that will get you to 22-2800rpm @80mph. The LS trans, mentioned by MasterP, is about as good as you're going to get ~3600rpm. Basically, you've got four options: complete LS trans swap, swap out the FD and 5th, swap out just the FD, or 5th only. Keep in mind, the first three options will hurt your acceleration in lower gears.

Just curious, why is this an issue?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
ok so what gearing will get me to around 2200-2800 rpm at 80MPH?
The reason i ask is b/c i am getting my trans rebuilt in a month or so and it is getting all new gears so i said what the hell go ahead and get what i want but with not knowing anything about gears or ratios im s.o.l.
Use the gear calculator I linked you to above....

·
Registered
126 Posts
You'd need to swap to an F/H-series and corresponding transmission to get to that range at 80mph.

LS and GSR FD gears will not swap. The GSR differential and ring gear are physically larger than the LS parts, and I don't know of anybody who makes a taller FD gear set for the GSR transmissions.

Just get yourself an LS 5th gear set, install, and enjoy the lower RPMs. You might not get much of an increase in gas mileage, but your engine will wear a bit slower if you drive long highway miles often.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
LS and GSR FD gears will not swap. The GSR differential and ring gear are physically larger than the LS parts, and I don't know of anybody who makes a taller FD gear set for the GSR transmissions.
One detail - the FD gears won't swap by themselves. If you want to swap the FD, you need to get the matching countershaft... which means rebuilding it.

I think synchrotech sells FD kits for just about any configuration you want to run.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One detail - the FD gears won't swap by themselves. If you want to swap the FD, you need to get the matching countershaft... which means rebuilding it.

I think synchrotech sells FD kits for just about any configuration you want to run.
I know the FD is a gear set. That's why I said I was unaware of a company that makes a taller GEAR SET for the GSR.

And I'm sure you know that the LS ring gear and differential are significantly smaller than the GSR parts. That's why you can't put the LS FD set in the GSR transmission without going to the aftermarket for parts.

I'm sure someone out there produces, or CAN make a taller FD gear set for the GSR transmission, but Synchrotech isn't advertising that they make such a set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts