Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im looking at buying a teg im looking at as early as today. Now it has a slight problem from transmission? I want to know what kind of problem it is and cost to repair, to see if its worth me buying this car.

Ill be VERY specific

The car shifts 100% fine, without any problems, it does not pop out of gear nor grind going into ANY gears- it feels like its 150% normal...except for this noise.

The noise does NOT happen when im in nutral and reving the car, clutch in or out...no difference ..no noise at all. There is no noise enguaging the clutch IN or OUT at ALL. The noise oNLY happens when im actually IN the gear and driving under load, and it happens from like the first gear to the third gear, a constant grinding/buzzig noise comming from tranny that continues to match the revs of motor in acelleration, it then goes away.

So to recap, noise DOES NOT HAPPEN when enguaging or release the clutch AT ALL, NO noise AT ALL in nutral when reving clutch in or out. the noiuse oNLY happens when DRIVING the car when its actually IN the gears 1-3, and the noise is a constant noise that increase with the RPMS. Shifter and clutch play is 150% normal and perfect.

ps. he says he put in a new clutch a while back...could be true or not

·
Registered
789 Posts
$20 says its the heat shield.

I have an automatic and mine went up very consistently in tone and rattling along with my reving, usually between 3000-6000rpm

After driving for a little while, it would stop rattling on me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but if it was heat shield wouldent it make nosie when I REV the motor in nutral? its only under LOAD aka..driving and it sounds like its comming from a tranny. another way to descrive the sound is when you where a kid, tied a card to the front spoke of the bike and drove, the card made a noise againcd the spokes that increase the faster your drove....SIMILAR style sounding but more deep and grinding .

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yeah I'm sure It's the heat shield...I had the same prob when I was buying my 95 gsr...I thought for sure the engine was screwed some how, and actually got into it with the owner! pretty funny I thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but I dont get it...if its some shield why wont it make a noise when I REV the car in nutral, nutralreving the car is perfect,MOMENT I get into gear and start to drive it the noise slowly starts up and increses with RPMS, I then chang to second and the noise starts up and incrases as I go threw second all the way ti mid third. 4th and 5th are fine.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When in gear you are under load and you get alot more vibrations...when in neutral there is no stress on the tranny/shifter therefore no vibrations strong enough to rattle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but it grinds as SOoN as I even press the gas SLIGHTLY..its not threw any RPMS ranges. my nutral idle is at 800, then I enguage clutch in gear and im at 1000 RPM its still there,mild sound, but in creases not in LOUNDESS just in osilation. and it stops at higher gears, or maybe it doesent, it just gets overtake by the road noise.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
like he said....just take 10 min and check it....you'd have it done if you had checked after the first post...(if your somewhere where you can)...not trying to be an A** just saying...it's not uncommon and just check for us and we can move on if it isn't the heat shield but if you check all over good most likely it will be...and if you want a reason it's in gear...read the wheel hop article.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
problem is I cant check it, its not my car yet ...so im just trying hard to pinoint what it is...lets move on and say its NOT heat shield what other variabels can it be? thats what im tryingto accomplish.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
a loose bolt....anything...if it's a rattle then it's probably just something loose...are you looking to buy this car??? could you FEEL the "grind/rattle" through the shifter...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1996 RS

yes im looking at buying, and I could not find anything wrong with the shifter/no weird feeling or play at all just the sound ...and I coukd not really feel it threw the car either.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
well hey man it's most likely nothing but something loose...if it really scares call a honda/acura dealer and tell them your thinking about the car and ask how much it would cost to have it checked out...probably around $50 maybe less...not sure...I'd also run a carfax on it...both of those can be bargaining tools for you if you find ANYTHING wrong...but if you have the dealer check it out tell them about the rattle and that you want them to find out for sure what it is...about the best we/I can tell you. Might even make an offer on the condition that if everything checks out that they'd take off the $50 or whatever it is of the price of the car...not sure just talkin now lol...just have it checked out by a good mechanic and they should be able to find out the problem without to much work.
Later,
Jared

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It must be Vtec kicking in!

Seriously though, it's probably just something loose. If the guy has all his services checked from Acrua then it should be okay. If not, I'd say just get it checked. It can't be that bad.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Check the braking system, might be something with that...unless your SURE that its coming out of the transmission...It fits, doesnt happen when you are revving the car and starts whenever your moving. I had the same problem with my car...one of my brake pads disintigrated and i had to get new pads and a new rotor...but whateva, thers my $.02

1 - 20 of 23 Posts