Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am gonna go home from college in less than a month, wanna change my oil and manual tranny fluid, looking for mobil synthetic tranny fluid, but what grade? this is for my 97 rs. I've searched posts for this, found a lot of redline numbers, but i want mobil 1. Also, for the bolts on both the tranny and the motor oil bolt, what size washers are to be replaced, and where can i pick new ones up? Thanks for all help, greatly appreciated, as it saves me my valuable and stretched time as it is! I am, by the way, an RA in a dorm, damn stressful job. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
is the weight for mobil 1 synthetic 70w80 for the b18b? please correct me if i am wrong...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Does Mobile 1 even have tranny fluid for manuals? All I see on their website is an ATF, no MTF to be found.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
While you're at it, bond a strong magnet to the end of the bolt so metal filings in the fluid from tranny wear stick to it and dont end up between gear teeth. If you arent handy with a couple tubes of jb weld or cant find the right size magnet spoon sports sells a magnetic tranny bolt for a ridculously inflated price.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
never mind that bolt, $50 for two bolts? Couldn't i just toss a magnet in there, or would it get caught in the tranny, cuz i do not trust just gluing a magnet on.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
You do not trust gluing a magnet to the bolt but you trust just throwing a magnet into the middle of the tranny? I think you can get the Spoon magnetic drain bolt for $35.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just finished this reply from another topic, i just thought this would be a more better place for this reply to be in. hope this is okay... well here it goes:
---------------------------------------------------------BTW, the transmission FILL BOLT on my car is stripped, any suggestions on how to take it out? I've been wanting to change the fluid for a while just never came up with a way for me to take it out safely (without damaging threads). Ive used the search function its just that i can't find any dealing with this particular bolt. NOT enough room for Impact Srwdrvr, I am not too sure about the torch thing, i have tried the vice grip and breaker bar trick, all with using tons of valvoline penetraing oil (just wondering how is it suppose to penetrate when its hella stuck?), thanks for any replies.
--------------------------------------------------------
Any replies will be appreciated

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the throwing in was kind of a joke, cuz that is why i don't trust the glue, cuz what if the magnet did come loose, it would damage something, right? So where could i get this spoon bolt ( i think there are two in the set, at least on inline four.com there are) for $35?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Prior to Honda actually making a manual transmission fluid 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil was recommended. Now they recommend Honda manual transmission fluid which is still looks the same weight as 10W30, and 10W30&10W40 as temporary fluid alternative. If you insist on using Mobil 1 use the 10W30 motor oil.

My personal experience is that there is not too much difference between the Mobil and the Honda stuff but the Honda stuff shift that extra bit smoother in first and second. Some guys will tell you the Mobil is too slippery for the syncros, try it and find out. You're only gonna waste 2 liters of fluid. Another alternative is the Redline MTL, cost way too much in my opinion.

Marty.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no i don't want to get motor oil, i want mobil one mtf in the 70w80, equal to 10w30 motor oil, but with transmission lubricants in it, i would never use motor oil in the transmission. I just didn't want to order redline.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but i do appreciate all of your help and if you have any more info, please let me know!

·
Registered
32 Posts
nightegra - regarding your stripped fill plug. Take your front right tire off and you'll get a clear view of the fill and drain plugs. The fill plug should accept a 17mm socket while the drain plug will accept a 3/8" drive ratchet. Is the head of the 17mm bolt stripped? Can you get a 17mm 6 point socket on it?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mobil 1
Synthetic Gear Lubricant
Product Number 51130-3
SAE Number 75W-90

i found this under gear lubricants, it is for manuals, but is 75w90 too thick, bc i heard, from style teg, that 70w80 is good for b18b's. it was in another post that he discussed this.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts