Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...until the dealer is done replacing the recalled speedometer on my car

For those that haven't seen my post in the Gen3 forum there were some Integra speedometers that were recalled by Honda due to coil breakage. The speedometer the dealer was going to put in my car ended being a regular Integra speedo and not a Type R one so since they couldn't give me my car back with a recall on it they gave me a loaner RSX Type S until Monday.

I drove the RSX very shortly back at the unveiling party at the dealership but I haven't actually gotten to live in it for a little bit until now. I thought maybe I should share some thoughts on it.

Power is pretty good overall. While 0-60mph and 60-100mph runs weren't up to what I could do in the R, it's still got some umph to it. The gearbox felt good, shifts were smooth and throws were short.

I did a little handling test of the car and was pretty dissapointed though. Perhaps I'm just too used to driving with an LSD and accelerating into turns like nothing is just habit now. This car would screech and slide all over the place when doing things I could easily do with ease in the R. I don't really know how much had to do with the lack of LSD and how much had to do with the suspension but I did not feel nearly as comfortable taking fast turns in this car as I do in my R. Body roll is definitely not something I like to feel but it's probably good if it was compared to a regular car. The car feels noticeably heavier in turning and braking.

The interior I like alot. If I could have an Integra with a Gen3 exterior and Gen4 interior it would be perfect. Everything is more refined, you can tell it's a newer model car. The Integra interior is a little cheap looking in comparison considering Acura only decided to import half of the Type Rx CF trim package for the interior of the 00-01 Type R's making it look a little unfinished. The RSX seats look very cool however are pretty much just all-show as they offer no extra lateral support to justify their Recaro-like shape. The actual support seems pretty equal to the regular Integra seats, the USDM ITR seats are still much more supportive.

I think the Type S is very comparible to the GS-R and does surpass it in alot of aspects depending on what is more important to the driver. Whoever in the past has tried to compare the RSX-S to the ITR has obviously never driven an ITR before or just didn't know how to drive one because it's just not a comparison. I was originally 100% sure I would not go for the RSX Type R if it came to the U.S. however I think that may have dropped to about 95% after tooling around in the RSX-S for a little bit. It's a nice car, and the interior definitely has my vote.

The Type S is a good car no doubt, it doesn't compare to the Type R's raw driving experience but I don't think it was supposed to anyway unlike what alot of magazine reviewers have been mistakingly comparing it to. I'm hoping if the new Type R comes to the U.S. I will be able to get an extensive test drive (good luck) so I can actually compare apples to apples next time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, when I was buying my car (2001 GSR) they tried to sell me the RSX Type-S instead. I drove both and I much preferred the way the GSR felt. Not to mention the styling of the 98-01 integras is beautiful... and although the RSX is pretty nice looking, I just much preferred the Integra.

Sorry honda, but your new cars are getting bad :(
New accord = ugh!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say Honda's new cars are going in a "bad" direction. Just not in the same direction they used to go which can be good or bad depending on who you are.

·
Registered
408 Posts
they werent going for quite the same goal of no compromise performance with the rsx-s as they did with the R. an lsd would be nice though...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I stick by honda cause it seems like to me everything honda does they know their stuff like for example the gen3 integ wich i never liked for a long time when i had my gen but they grew on me now ill kick some ass if anyone has something bad to say about the gen3 and like the civic si wich i think is ugly lets see what happens see if that grows on us the new acoord looks like a mercedes benz with those tail lights wich can be very good for some people and also i think they had to make the new si look that way or they would not sell any rsx withtthe baseline engine. srry im just blabbing on

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
well, Josh, u first scared my with the title "Traded the R for the Rsx" i was almost getting ready to cry, but then i read the post, and what a relief..lol..

Now, yes, i know exactly what uall mean by Honda going in a bad direction, But then again, i agree with Integra15lb also, as to honda knows what they are doing... I for one didn't like the current civic,predules, accords, But they all grew on me, and now I love they way they look.. Even my Teg.. i was a fan of the gen2 teg.. but after i got my car (even after all the bullsh*t) I learned to love it..lol..something like a fixed marriage..lol..

But yeah, the new accords... Yuck..:-Q

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
yea.. why'd u scare us like that.. i almost peed my pants when i read "traded".. what i've kinda notice about the rsx is it's roomier fenders.. seems a lil wider too.. i think the rsx has lots of potential.. can't wait to see what develops with this new engine..

hm.. interesting thought.. what they do with your car while it's at the dealership?.. i hope u didn't leave any dirty pictures or ur lil black book in there.. i'd be stoked if a itr rolled into my shop.. what if it ended up in a magazine "type r vs wrx"... hm.. makes me wonder..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
hey josh, what was this recalls bout again? and what models are involved... sorry i'm kinda late..

Frank

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They didn't tell me what models and years were affected by the speedo recall so I couldn't tell you. If your speedo has started acting up then take it in and see if you have one of the bad ones.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The speedo they got was broke, so they still have my car. Funny thing is they took back the RSX Type S and gave me an RSX base model automatic with sequential sportshift.

Wow is it slow. I can't believe it's still a 2.0L i-VTEC I mean the old non-VTEC 1.8L LS was this fast and didn't need no stinkin VTEC. What's up with Honda here?

This sequential shifting I'm not liking either. I hit the revlimiter a couple times coming home because it takes so long to respond to a shift input.

The nice thing is I can beat around this car at redline all day and not worry about going too fast haha.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think their list on Acura/Honda vehicles is complete. They didn't have my recall in there. They also had this message.

The American Honda Motor Company, Inc. has requested ALLDATA restrict access to Acura and Honda repair information by individual consumers. You will unfortunately not be able to register for access to Acura or Honda vehicle repair information, technical service bulletins or recalls.

·
Registered
223 Posts
SonicBlueTeg on Sep/09/02 said:
i think the rsx has lots of potential.. can't wait to see what develops with this new engine..
Yeah- That's what I thought too... until I read that the fuel pump and some of the other fuel control equipment is clumped together into a one-piece unit, making it VERY difficult to upgrade. If we can't replace the fuel pump easily, I don't see how we're gonna give the K20 decent boost. I'm sure they'l' come up w/ a solution (like really, really expensive fuel pumps
), but until then - for that reason alone, I'm hesitant to get an RSX Type S even though it's a good car otherwise. Oh yeah- that AND the fact that the engine looks cramped on three sides.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts