Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my friends offered to trade me his 97 Eclipse GS-T Automatic for my 95 Integra LS Automatic plus 1,000 dollars. Both cars are black. You can read all of my mods on my profile, and I think all he has is a boost controller, and a full Apexi N-1 exhaust with custom piping. I know he ran a 15.0 at the track (as to my 17). Do you guys think this is an even/good trade?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
No....if it was an AWD turbo and a manual, I'd snatch it up if it looked like it was in good shape and if I knew he took care of it. Those cars are fast and can rip almost any other car off the line with that AWD. Also, that AWD lets them stay right in their powerband the whole time. Launch it at 5K and get no tire spin...oh baby.

If you look past the reliability issues, you have one hell of a fast car. And one that easy to make faster.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the outside of this car is in great shape...the engine is in good shape...miles are about even on both cars...and he ran a 15.0 at the track and i ran a 17.0. 15.0 may not be fast...but for an auto...and a few more upgrades = ? hmm...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Well if your both Autos... its pretty much hard to decide their. However I would believe that Eclipse will rip your Teg depending on milage, care and mods he has.
Again you have nice ones too, so its up to you on which style you like better. Personally I would stick with the Teg because of its enginnering is better I think~

Also Tegs are more fun to drive and turn then a Eclipse as well.

Its all up to you though. However Tegs are getting more rare to get, so put into though on that as well. You got a Teg, the person next to you. He doesn't...

·
Registered
259 Posts
It will be cool for the time being, but it won't be long and you'll be paying out the ass for repairs while he is only doing routine oil changes and what not.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
If it was a stick I would say go for it. But if its an auto it just seems pointless to me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
batboyx on Sep/02/02 said:
Hondas last longer period.
I disagree, there are more things to deal with a DSM then a Honda. More to the point Every DSM with intake exhaust and a A manuel boost controller, that I have come acorss, usually runs just fine. The exception for those crankwlaked, which is an $18 bearing and the only thing you really need is an oil pan gasket and a torque wrench, the bearing typically needs replaced yearly after initial failure. I'd say don't do it from the stand point its a money pit. But then again if you plan on goign all out, start witha latform you like, and go further. In the end its just a lot of money, and a pita to go a little further with the car then that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not to double post, but in the aid against all cars, (not jsut eclipses) Most transmission issues I see are the drivers fault. I've been through 5 transimission replacements in various cars. 4 of them were automatics, and one manuel which when I bought I knew it had bad 1st and 2nd gear synchros. More specific to the eclipse turning up the boost to 15 psi on the stock 90-94 turbo was enough to finish off the clutch (80k miles on my old laser, same car with bad synchros btw.)

I've heard an ages old saying, if yourun enough power through a stock tranny, (improper driving habits apply here,) its not goign to hold together. I'll give that there are a few thigns one the 95-99 eclipses that can make a difference in the tranny, but all I have to say for that is it shouldn't cost more then some fluid to rebleed the clutch to remove the restricions.

the edit: BTW the auto eclipses were quicker but made 15-20 less peak hp. There are a few relatively cheap thigns to do to put it in the mid fourteens that do not require tunning the car at all.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I see many Eclipses puff out some blue smoke. I personally think its a chick car. Some are very nice though. But I would definatly keep my low maintence teg with no problems. Teg will last longer =)My Auto 94 has 183,000 miles and still runs perfect and beats most newer tegs =)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote: Furious94LS on Sep/02/02I see many Eclipses puff out some blue smoke. I personally think its a chick car. Some are very nice though... [/QUOTE]The same could be said about integras. I think the eclipse is co0 but I wouldn't trade and then pay another g to get one to tell the truth your car is worth more (kelly blue book and street wise) so many people want a honda and even more want a acura i think he should pay you or just swap cars. (eclipse vs Integra the never ending battle) and the eclipse has NO JDM add on what fun is that going to be.

·
Registered
246 Posts
if it wasn't a 97 then go for it...the 97's(manuals atleast) get crank walk earlier than anyother year....my friend has a 95 gst with 109,000miles and never crankwalked(did [email protected] on street tires too)

·
Registered
569 Posts
here is some story my friend has ran into, 93 eclipses already replace the motor twice. 94 eclipses blow the motor still waiting to get a new one. Now both of my friends don't race and drive their car nice. here is another story i almost bought this car a 98 eclipses 4th cyl blown out. To me there is to many storys about eclipses braking the motor.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
95integra on Sep/02/02 said:
here is some story my friend has ran into, 93 eclipses already replace the motor twice. 94 eclipses blow the motor still waiting to get a new one. Now both of my friends don't race and drive their car nice. here is another story i almost bought this car a 98 eclipses 4th cyl blown out. To me there is to many storys about eclipses braking the motor.
Most of these stories occur in the non-turbo aspirated eclipse. Since your trading for a turbo version, it's engine is built stronger to handle the turbo. IMO, even the eclipse is a girlie car (with modification it will look nice) it's newer than your teg and faster. If everything in his eclipse is in working order and the body it good.....look at the value of his car from kelly's blue book or something. If then the value and quality of the car is in working order.....i think the eclipse would be the better deal.

·
Registered
224 Posts
well ok , my friend jw had a 97 eclipse gts auto, had a bunch of stuff done to it including bodykit, ect, very nice looking, but over all it was a crap car so he sold it, bought a 94 hatchback, dropped a jdm b18c with lsd, jdm header, ect , a bunch of bolt on's and could not be any more happier. i say keep your teg, cus those gt-s autos arnt all that fast....

·
Registered
890 Posts
tim on Sep/02/02 said:
if you get problems, your friendship may not last either.

I couldn't agree more.

Quote: 95integra on Sep/02/02 here is some story my friend has ran into, 93 eclipses already replace the motor twice. 94 eclipses blow the motor still waiting to get a new one. Now both of my friends don't race and drive their car nice. here is another story i almost bought this car a 98 eclipses 4th cyl blown out. To me there is to many storys about eclipses braking the motor.
I'd just like to say for around 1,500 you can have That eclipse in the low 14's with no tunning issues. I'd personally build up the Itnegra at this point. You know your bottom end can handle 8 psi from a drag Gen III kit, I'm sure you've seen it in the search function. Turn it to even 6 psi for the extra power noise, and the auto tranny you have. The problem that most eclipse owners these days, are pretty much they do lots of mods without thinking them 100% throguh.

As far as the guys with the 93 + 94, sounds like neither one know how to tune, or were trying to make too much power without the right componenents. As far as the 98 eclispe, Mine was a lease before I bought it, and other then a leaking IC piping the car runs perfectly fine. I'm sure if I had piping made up where i only had 4 connectors instead of 13 I wouldn't have this problem.

The bottom line its sounds liek you want to go forced induction, save your friendship, and start saving for a turbo kit. Unfortunately our motors (b18b) can't handle the same hp a 4g63 is capable of putting out out, but Hoenst answer these guys are buying everything from balanced rotating assemblies to AEM ECM replacement to a very broad range of piggy backs. It doesn't sound too mcuh different in the end to be honest, to me a race motor is a race motor, and if your building for a race there are advantages and disadvantages, but either way it always ends up being a money issue. In other words most people I meet are trying to be cheap, then they shell out 2-5 times as much to fix the damage they caused.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts