Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question I have is whether you guys have to use force to put your 2nd gear in at higher rpms, specially when you're racing? During normal driving, it slides right in, but when I race, sometimes its so tough it doesn't go in, but thats cause i let go of the clutch too fast and don't use enough force... (Also happens in 3rd)

I read posts, but it seemed that most people were having shifting problems at ALL speeds, even when shifting at around 3k rpm. The article about troubleshooting a clutch also eventually led me to believe it was tough at all speeds which isn't my case. Maybe if I just drain my tranny fluid put some new fluid in it will be better? What you guys think?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
yeah 2nd gear was a toughy for me too until i switched to GM syncromesh.

i hope that racing is being done at a track!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same problem with my 3rd gear only happens like above 7000 rpms

Hopefully im going to be putting some GM syncromesh in soon .. my friend had this problem and GM syncromesh fixed it right up

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, good things. I was gonna do new tranny fluid anyways =D, gonna use Redline MTL though...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got 65K miles and I've never had a problem, and I drive on the aggressive side, so...maybe it happens once you get more mileage, I don't know. The only thing I have is the normal "notchiness" going into either first or reverse, but there's a great forum that discusses this, where MD gives us the technical break down of why.

·
Registered
948 Posts
go to a GM dealer and as for their MTL.

I don't think its sold as a GM product anymore. GM owns AC Delco and labels their factory stuff with their label. So if you get AC Delco Synchromesh its the same stuff.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Some easy and cheap maintence is to change out the MTF with Honda MTF. Search around the site for redline and syncromesh, I'm not gonna get into that. Syncromesh does not cure problems it puts a band aid on it.

Bleed the clutch fluid as well. If you do this once a year you should be golden. I do it 2x a year as its cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Before you put Synchromesh into your tranny, there are a few threads you might want to read up on. Me, MD, and a few others have had a small debate as to if it's worth putting the synchromesh in.

Check out this thread.

here

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
If you're not grinding, stay with Honda MTF. And then read this thread before you go singing the praises of GM synchromesh.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Real quick... as you'll read in the thread about the synchromesh and how it's only acts as an 'aid' to help stop the grinds... you should first try and flush the tranny out with HMTF first and run it for a few hundred miles. See if that helps the problem first.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Excellent advice Keith. Most times, your car just may be due for a change.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks guys, that was the plan, but now I'll also do clutch :). I'm not doing for a perm fix, I hope to get to my tranny soon after I do everything else I want to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just did a tranny conversion and put in a stage 2 cluch and flywheel while my car was apart and my gears only do it in 3 when raceing. it seems that the stock tranny isnt ment to do what people are trying to do and need to beef it up a bit

·
Registered
61 Posts
i just put in a stage 1 act clutch like 1 month ago, it never used to do it on stock clutch since i got this 1 and mine are 2nd and 3rd i dont no may be its the clutch

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
^ I have the same issue. I use to have an Exedy stage 1 clutch and I never ran into any shifting issues. Ever since I put in my ACT 6 puck w/ heavy duty pressure plate, I'm not having issues with shifting at high rpm into 3rd and 4th gear. The clutch fluid is new and my tranny fluid is also fairly new...

·
Registered
61 Posts
i know..dude F*** my friend have a exedy stage 1 he dont have no problems at all.. i guess the act is no good then. i juss replaced my master clutch cylinder week ago still got the same problem and im doing the tranny flash tomorow with the GM scynchromess hope it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts