Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I do this? It's an awful lot of money if it isn't going to help. I need something to help go against guys with 5-speeds. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
685 Posts
yes it will help...alot in fact...talk to the domestic crowd...they will tell you that this is a great mod for any automatic...it will help you reach your power band easier...do the research...I mean that in a positive way :)...I say if you truely plan on keeping it an automatic and want to make it fast then you really need to get this to be serious! I had a 94 auto, sold it to my girlfriend...I planned on that with nitrous...and a rebuild head...it would have been a serious car...you should do the same...your post said you might do a head swap*that would be great*

all the best to you...do it for yourself! you will be happy when it is done!

·
Registered
685 Posts
when you are getting ready to launch...you can hold the brake and hit the gas...it will rev to like ~1500rpm
The new torque convertor will enable you to rev at a higher rpm...like 2300 to 2600rpm ususally...you will get a good launch! Almost everytime...that is a fact! No more getting killed off the line...

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
I hope to get one eventually.....wonder how much installation would be. probably alot

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I'm running an Auto LS Supercharged with level 10 torque converter I reved 2500 rpm and ran a 15.2 this weekend.. I sorta loss momentum on launch cause I didnt ev high it was only my 2nd time drag racing and I didnt want to take it too hard. It seemed to reaction pretty well, no slippage. Tranny itself is pretty much stock as with shift points

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Haegl on Sep/19/07 said:
I'm running an Auto LS Supercharged with level 10 torque converter I reved 2500 rpm and ran a 15.2 this weekend.. I sorta loss momentum on launch cause I didnt ev high it was only my 2nd time drag racing and I didnt want to take it too hard. It seemed to reaction pretty well, no slippage. Tranny itself is pretty much stock as with shift points
wow, supercharged and only 15.2. i think a manual tranny would have been a better investment than the tq converter

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
flipmattic_teg on Sep/18/07 said:
Dont you have to get the level 10 tranny to cope with the new torque converter? Can the stock tranny handle the new power?
Well here is the thing, having a higher stall speed does not give you any more power over stock. It is strickly for launching purposes only.

As far as the price goes you are correct, it is expensive. I would recommend just buying a separate working auto tranny. You can usally find a whole one for about 200 bucks.

The reason why having the whole transmission rebuilt is so expensive is because of the labor involved.

1. Taking it out of the car

2. Finding out what compenent is bad and replacing that part

3. Reinstalling the tranny and making sure that nothing else is wrong with it. (if there is that means taking back off of the car and opening it back up again to find out what else is wrong)

A lot of that could be eliminated if you already had a working tranny that was off the car.

By the way I think 15.2 is a great time, picked up a full two seconds. Plus its not like it was pure luck, another advantage with an auto tranny is the consistency.

·
Registered
213 Posts
man i have tried to find out more abou this subject. i hope this topic/forum keeps going for a while and we do get more info for thos of us with auto.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
lol don't discount the car.. its the driver Im a drag racing newbie.. I kinda gotta get use to it.. I tried manual shifting and sorta fuct up by slapping it in 2nd half way down lol.. I'm learning

I started off with a 15.6 time, 2nd run 15.5, 3rd 15.43 4th 15.23 So Im convinced I can run high to low 14s especially if I take all the weight out my trunk and solve my fuel pressure issue, still untuned setup..I think if I revved a little higher than 2000rpm I might have a better launh and gain on some time hehe.. I got a video where I beat a GSR manual with mods.. I'm at work right now I'll post some slips + vid for you guys when I get home.. Don't hate auto!!!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I heard story about Level10. That 1/2 of the work are good and the other 1/2 is crap. I was planing to send them my SIR-G trany to them now I'm having second thoughts.

Please some one explain the different stages on there website. I see Tq converter for $598 and some change but stage 1 stage 2 or stage 3.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also am running an auto and looked at the prices on the Tq converter but i also did a little more research finding that the tq converter helps you on basically take offs but for me i was looking for something for a daily driver and the occasional trip to the tracks so i found that i would need to get a shift kit as well to help the tranny for taking a beating under the compression of the shifts. im not sure what you have planned for yourself but this is what i came to. I think i might just do a auto-manual conversion cuz its pretty much the same price.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Ok heres what I promised..

Running Jackson racing SC on B18B1 at 6psi (stock setting) Stock injectors, Stock fuel pump, no tuning no engine managment, have FPR issues at the moment.

Automatic tranny, level 10 torque converter, Larger clutch plates to handle boost, mustang tranny supercooler
with valvoline red.

Track was 1/4 mile 30C degrees out kinda hot.
Had spare tire in, 70 lbs of tools in the back
17" rims with Kumho 712s.. weight about 20 lbs each (yes I know Im heavy lol)

I was doing the show and shine as well as drag so I wasn't really set up.

I reved just about 2000 rpm.. 2200rpm on the last run.. I was kinda afraid to run it hard since this is only my 2nd time doing this. I wanted to get a feel for it. The Auto seemed to launch very well no slipping whatsoever, smooth transistions no jerking. I did a break - acel

1st run:

Reaction-- .3569
60 ft-- 2.3469
330 ft-- 6.6051
ET at 594 FT-- 9.3172
1/8 ET-- 10.0300
1/8 mph-- 73.42
1/4 ET-- 15.6409
1/4 MPH: 88.61

2nd run

Reaction-- .2260
60 ft-- 2.4672
330 ft-- 6.6051
ET at 594 FT-- 9.4122
1/8 ET-- 10.0400
1/8 mph-- 72.41
1/4 ET-- 15.5169
1/4 MPH: 89.46

3rd Run:

Reaction-- .3259
60 ft-- 2.2939
330 ft-- 6.4990
ET at 594 FT-- 9.3400
1/8 ET-- 9.9620
1/8 mph-- 72.61
1/4 ET-- 15.4360
1/4 MPH: 89.64

4th run (BEST)

Reaction-- .1833
60 ft-- 2.2589
330 ft-- 6.5009
ET at 594 FT-- 9.2881
1/8 ET-- 9.9068
1/8 mph-- 72.45
1/4 ET-- 15.2389
1/4 MPH: 90.83

I'm getting better as you see, I just need to practice more I felt like I could hit high 14s even with my current setup.. next time I will strip the teg down with weight and try again and Im looking for rota slips with drag radials for my next run. Here's one of the runs where I beat my friend's GSR

Cayuga Run of the Auto Teg

I'm currently looking into tuning my setup now.. possible AEM emanage, difficult to find tuning for auto. Hopefulyl by getting my new fuel pressure regulator I will beable to sole some high FP settings, and I'll be having it dyno tuned soon.. I'll post more info on my next run this Oct.

Again don't hate auto. Autos are Tegs too :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts