Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i bought a 98 jrsc'd gsr from a guy out of state and i want to replace the upper belt connected from the alternator to the charger (since it broke 2 days ago). Im not sure as to what tools i'd need to losen the tensioner(s), do i have to take off the lower belt connected from the alternator to the crank too?
I'd rather learn how to do this myself since i know these upper belts need to be checked and replaced more often then anything else. Step by step would be great, i heard it shouldn't take more then a hour. thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i'll try that....do you know if Gates belts any good from NAPA? i don't want a belt to stretch or wear down easily. i've heard of gatorback, bando, and dayco(heard sux) so im not sure. just one thats reliable and would last longer

·
Registered
559 Posts
Im currently running the gatorback belt and its held up fine. You dont need any special tools to get the belt off and on. A simple socket set with a couple long extensions and youll be set. Just get up under it and youll be able to tell what comes off and what doesnt.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Lossen tension to the alternator, put new belt on, tighten tensioner.

Thats about all I can remember having to do really. Nothing special about it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just bought the belt from NAPA....now i was looking at the space im working with looks really tight.....looks like the belt from the charger to the alternator is on the inner slot and the other belt is on the outter part of the pulley...so your saying:
1) losen the tensioner for the alternator and remove that belt for now.
2) losen the tensioner for the charger and slide the new belt on and tighten it
3)put the other belt back on and tighten
???
should i remember how many times i turn to losen the tensioners so i can remember to tight back exactly how it was? heard you over tighten or have it too lose causin lose in boost or other problems

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
geez dude.... just change the damn belt.

or take it back to whoever installed your JRSC, since it obviously wasn't you.

it's a belt. if you can't change a belt, get out from under the hood.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol thanks but umm changed the belt and all works well.....just was making sure this $20 job didn't turn into a $400 one because i made a simple stupid mistake thats all but thanks for your patience (lil sarcasim)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.