Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to get some tools to change head gasket.

to remove the spark plugs what size socket do i need..in inches and mm?

what size socket to use to turn the pulley to set the cylinders at TDC?

now what size socket wrench should i buy...

ebay has various headgasket sets that come with head, intake, exhaust, valvecover gaskets and more stuff....

will a b18c headgasket fit on a b16a?
will the other gaskets like the valvecover, intake etc., of a b18c engine fit on a b16a?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
5/8" or 14mm for the spark plug I think. 19mm for the crank. Wrenches just get a whole set, it will come in handy sooner or later.

GSR has different intake gasket so it will not work. Can not confirm the other gaskets however.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you're going through the trouble of a head gasket replacement don't skimp...use OEM parts, my friend. Don't tear your motor apart and put eBay junk in there. You don't want to be doing that job more than once. Gaskets are cheap, it's not like buying an OEM catalytic converter vs after market. The price difference vs. what you get in this case definitely warrants the use of OEM gaskets and seals.

As far as tools go, it's much cheaper to buy a complete set than buying piece by piece, as you need it. If you work on your car, you'll have a MUCH easier job doing stuff when you have the right tools. For simple hand tools, why not just take a ride down to Sears and get a Craftsman set? All their hand tools are guranteed for life, and they're reasonably priced.

FWIW, I have a Craftsman socket/ratchet set that I got like 10 years ago. I broke the 1/2" drive a few years back trying to free a rusted bolt with a 3' pipe on the end of the ratchet. This isn't the intended use of that tool, and i'm not surprised it broke. Yesterday it just occurred to me that they'd replace it. I took my 10 year old, rusty, broken ratchet in to Sears and walked out with a brand new one 2 minutes later. No paperwork, no questions asked.

Get yourself a decent set of tools, and you'll need a torque wrench as well. Actually, Auto Zone has pretty cheap ones that work well. I got mine there, i've used it for a number of jobs now and i'm happy with it. Seems to be accurate and works well. It gives a little 'click' feel when you've reached the designated torque. I've done oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold/gasket with it, and transmission drain pan gasket on a Ford E150 with it, none of them have leaked yet. It appears to be torquing things consistently.

-Nick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks, ill have to go to the store and pick this stuff up...anyone knows how much a \OEM head gasket goes for...more or less?

does OEM mean only HoNDA brand? or are there other brand headgaskets i can pick?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
henhen on Oct/09/07 said:
ok thanks, ill have to go to the store and pick this stuff up...anyone knows how much a \OEM head gasket goes for...more or less?

does OEM mean only HoNDA brand? or are there other brand headgaskets i can pick?

$50-60 for an OEM head gasket. Go to your local dealer, or pick it up at www.acuraautomotiveparts.org or some place similar.

EDIT: OEM is Original Equipment manufacturer. In the case of a head gasket, yes, that would be Honda. It isn't always though. For instance, the O2 sensor in your car may be made by Denso, not Honda. Honda uses parts from different parts manufacturers, in conjunction with their own. From my experience, unless you're upgrading the part (performance suspension, for instance), the OEM part is always the best quality. I've tried aftermarket parts in my car, and they're never as nice as what came in it to begin with (the OEM part). A head gasket is not something you want to be skimping on when it comes to quality. It's not a window switch or power steering belt we're talking about here.

Good luck with the job!

-Nick

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Oh, and BTW, when you're picking up hand tools, make note of what kind of wrenches you're getting. 6 point, or 12 point.

6 point allow you to get rough with a bolt with less possibility of you rounding it off. 12 point will round a bolt off easier if you're trying hard to loosen it, but they have the benefit of being able to be slipped over the bolt at a wider variety of angles, so they're better for work in tight spaces.

-Nick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info...

im going to order some tools from ebay i guess...

as for the OEM head gasket...the honda dealer here sells it for $270....

this is not an option for me...so ill check around

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
henhen on Oct/10/07 said:
thanks for the info...

im going to order some tools from ebay i guess...

as for the OEM head gasket...the honda dealer here sells it for $270....

this is not an option for me...so ill check around
My advice. Buy tools that have a lifetime warranty from a local store. Tools will break. Also, when doing a headgasket, it's nice to have at least 2 size ratchets. That tensioner bolt can be a pain if you've bought the biggest ratchet you can find. What I've learned from working on my car is that although you think you're saving a little dough by not buying some tool you "think" you need, it'll save you a LOT of time and maybe some scrapes when you actually have the tool that is fit for the job (right length to fit in spots, ratcheting box head wrenches for those hard to reach spots as well).

And the dealer is ripping you off like crazy if they are charging $270 for a headgasket. Have you tried the Honda dealer? Look up a website that displays actual honda part numbers and cross reference, because I bought alot of parts from the honda dealer because I got a discount.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
What engine is this for again?

GSR Head Gasket ~ $70

GSR Head Gasket Set ~ $145

LS Head Gasket ~ $70

LS Head Gasket Set ~ $135

B16 Head Gasket ~ $70

B16 Head Gasket Set ~ $130

OEM Head Gasket pat number 6 or 7 (this is of LS engine) in diagram

B18b Part number = 12251-P75-004
B18c Part Number = 12251-P30-014

Both can be ordered online for about under $70.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thanks for the headgasket info.!!

that price quote IS from the honda dealer!! hahaha

im presently away from home, studying in the D.R. ...if you know anything about this country then the $270 price wont surprise you.

one question about the ratchet set...i have a small one i use to take off the bolts that hook up the bumper etc.,...i dont know the size of it..it does come with a little adapter.....the size im talking about is the little square part of the ratchet that all the sockets plug into

3/4 inch ...1/2inch??? which size ratchet should i buy? (if it makes a difference)

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
3/8 and 1/2 are most commonly used. 1/4 is too small (although might work on some smaller parts) for the work you are looking to do and 3/4 is way too big.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.