Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an obsessive disorder when it comes to my cars paint. I'm sure most of you do too. I was just wondering, is it possible to use too much wax? I mean I always double coat the front. And I rewax and polish about every week or every other week. I also use the Meguiars paste wax, so it doesnt really hold up too well. That smooth feeling is gone after the week is up. So, any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Using a more durrible wax will leave the paint feeling and looking great, longer.

Technically you can use to much wax. Any time you rub anything on your car you are causing micromarring on some level, even if its not visible to the human eye. So technically it could eventually lead to excessive swirling, which would need to be buffed out. Doing this repedidly can take out a substantial amount of clearcoat.

In reality, its nothing to worry about. The micromarring isn't going to be enough where it can't be corrected with a very light compound. The drawback would be the cost, and effort/work to continually reapply the wax.

You might want to look into a durrible wax like Blitz, Pinnacle, P21S, etc
...or my favorite, a quality polymer sealant. Most polymer sealants will out last carnauba based waxes by months.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
The problem with carnubas is that they melt off your car. They don't last too long if you live in a hot area. Polymers are great because they can expand and shrink with your car. Y'all know that your car gets smaller when it gets hot, right? Wax won't shrink so it pulls away from your car and just melts off. Polymers will last for 3 or 4 times longer than your best carnuba.

The only downside of using too much wax is the fact that it will take longer to buff off and it may smear durring the process. It won't last longer than just using just enough either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, if we're using a carnauba on top of a sealant, how often should we reapply the sealant, and do we have to clean off the leftover wax each time before we apply the sealant?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Bluballs04 on June/25/02 said:
Wouldn't our cars expand when it gets hot? I dunno, I just figured it would be the other way around.
Hmmmm...Maybe that is the way it goes. I couldn't remember. I was thinking about ice and how it expands. Either way the carnuba isn't going to grow or shrink with the car.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Posted: said:
Also, if we're using a carnauba on top of a sealant, how often should we reapply the sealant, and do we have to clean off the leftover wax each time before we apply the sealant?
The sealant should last 6-8months, the carnauba will last a month or two at most. The sealant will not bond properly if there is any carnauba remaining.

For this reason it is a good idea to put down as many coats of sealant as you want, before you top it with carnauba.

If for some reason you do want to add more layers of sealant, you can do a light dawn wash. The dawn will strip any remaining carnauba, but not the polymer.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
GS-RRR on June/25/02 said:
I have an obsessive disorder when it comes to my cars paint. I'm sure most of you do too. I was just wondering, is it possible to use too much wax? I mean I always double coat the front. And I rewax and polish about every week or every other week. I also use the Meguiars paste wax, so it doesnt really hold up too well. That smooth feeling is gone after the week is up. So, any thoughts?
I know what you mean, I also have an obsession when it comes to my cars finish. Since its a very dark two-toned colour it looks somewhat faded after going through a wash too much. I use 3m swirl remover and deep shine 3M Hand glaze to bring out that dark colour. I then use Blitz wax afterwards and it brings out the shine and colour.. it lasts about a month and then fades again. I find that I am constantly waxing it. Its not a good idea to wax your Teg so often because it may extenuate the swirl marks or add imperfections to the finish.

I try to refrain from waxing my car too much recently. My Teg is going in a show next month and I am having a professional wet sand and buff the entire car. He knows what he’s doing I've seen this guy do other cars before, never try this method yourself! But its the only way to get all the swirls marks out and keep the finish smooth with that mirror shine!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knew about the swirl marks and micro-marring, but I'm lucky enough to have a taffeta white car. It's real hard to see any swirlies on that color. The cars a 95 and still has deep shine and sharp reflections. I just heard that wax can build up. But if I wash my car 2 or 3 times, it doesnt feel as smooth anymore. So I wax it. However, I try not to polish it more than once a month.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
silverteg19 on Jan/05/03 said:
the wax on my car hood is a smeared up....... any ideas on how to get rid of it?
I kinda overdid it by a lot...!
Wash with dawn and start over. That would be the easiest solution. Dawn dishwashing detergent will clean off all your wax so you can start over. Don't ever wash with dawn unless you mean to get all the wax off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts