Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some nuespeed race springs which has a very high spring rate. I am deciding which shocks to get. I want to know if the tokiko hp will be able to handle such high spring rate. I know its a tread out there that has the spring rate limits for the kyb gr2 so i was wondering if there was one for the tokiko hp?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Well, It's Tokico and I would probably get another shock. There's a couple threads on HT I was reading about the Tokico non adjustable (blues) shocks cannot handle more than 2" of a drop.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Unfortunately they will not support those springs, I was looking for a post I made a couple years ago on the response I got from Tokico when I asked them the max rates for the HP's but it appears the thread is lost.

Short story = The HP's are a replacement style shock, not a performance one, no matter what Tokico likes to call it.

For example, I blew both Tokico blue rears on my 97 LS when I had OEM Type R springs and they are rated lower than race springs.

Koni yellows should be at the top of your list, and no they arn't cheap. Ground control tells me they are good to about 650 lbs/in, but I can't get an answer out of Koni.

KYB AGX's are debatable, they might work with no track usage just puttering around town, but then why run RACE springs with them right? Usually 400 lbs/in springs max on these shocks.

Last words = Don't cheap out now, buy the right shocks now, or regret it later (even if they don't blow, substandard shocks will have ****ty ride quality)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
g3teg97 on Sep/16/07 said:
Well, It's Tokico and I would probably get another shock. There's a couple threads on HT I was reading about the Tokico non adjustable (blues) shocks cannot handle more than 2" of a drop.

Its a lot less than that, but I don't have that info anymore. Lets just say when they told me, I was apprehensive of using OEM ITR springs which are ~ 0.75" lower than an LS/GSR.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
steved on Sep/16/07 said:
Last words = Don't cheap out now, buy the right shocks now, or regret it later (even if they don't blow, substandard shocks will have ****ty ride quality)
Same situation here. I have the Tokico blues paired with Tein S Techs. Originally I had the Pro-Kit. It was fine at first, but recently ride quality has taken a dump. I think he has to do with the shocks, but I'm planning on ditching these and going with the Koni/GC setup.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so any recomendations as to which shocks to get? Preferable something tht wont break the bank but at the same time give me quality? Its just for a daily driver

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Honestly, I'd dump the idea of those Race springs first. I know the drop looks nice, but if you are just driving it around town its a really high spring rate for very little return.

The springrate doesn't even bias to the rear. once you take into account the wheel rate, these springs are a pretty neutral spring. You should look into something a bit more comfortable for the street.

Of course its all just subjective, and if you're in Florida maybe the roads arn't too bumpy so you wont care.

Something with a really close wheel rate ratio would be the Tein S.Techs. They've got a advertised 1.7" drop, which is pretty damn close to the race springs. You'd have to look up some pics if you're concerned with equal wheel gap front to rear as the drop is the same front to rear.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
steved on Sep/17/07 said:
Honestly, I'd dump the idea of those Race springs first. I know the drop looks nice, but if you are just driving it around town its a really high spring rate for very little return.

The springrate doesn't even bias to the rear. once you take into account the wheel rate, these springs are a pretty neutral spring. You should look into something a bit more comfortable for the street.

Of course its all just subjective, and if you're in Florida maybe the roads arn't too bumpy so you wont care.

Something with a really close wheel rate ratio would be the Tein S.Techs. They've got a advertised 1.7" drop, which is pretty damn close to the race springs. You'd have to look up some pics if you're concerned with equal wheel gap front to rear as the drop is the same front to rear.
thanks........i was thinking that too the only problem is that am getting the race springs for practically nothing i am getting at a ridiculous deal. So i was just looking for the right shock to pair it up with............yeah this is Florida and the roads are pretty nice and smooth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Zanphyre on Oct/06/07 said:
I have Tokico HPs on my car and I love them. They provide a fairly comfortable ride, almost like stock but with a 2" drop.

The springs are Eibach Sportlines.
How long have you been running that set-up?

What kind of driver are you? Do you accelerate and brake hard? Corner hard?

I have 2 cars okay, both stock suspension, and I think that how they handle today is a product of how they have been treated.

95 Prelude 104K miles - stiff as board
01 GSR 114K - shocks are shot!

Long story short, I think that if you beat the hell out of a "lower end shock," ie, the HP it will last accordingly.

·
Registered
814 Posts
PSTAR on Oct/07/07 said:
Quote: Zanphyre on Oct/06/07I have Tokico HPs on my car and I love them. They provide a fairly comfortable ride, almost like stock but with a 2" drop.

How long have you been running that set-up?

What kind of driver are you? Do you accelerate and brake hard? Corner hard?

I have 2 cars okay, both stock suspension, and I think that how they handle today is a product of how they have been treated.

95 Prelude 104K miles - stiff as board
01 GSR 114K - shocks are shot!

Long story short, I think that if you beat the hell out of a "lower end shock," ie, the HP it will last accordingly.
Had them for about 1k miles, I don't usually acclerate hard or brake hard, but I do sometimes. And I love taking hard turns.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Give it some time man, a 1k miles won't tell you **** about the longivity of those shocks. And a 2" drop is WAY beyond what the manufacturer would recommend. Even OTS Koni's are taxed at that point by the reduced piston travel.

Post back here in 6-12 months and let us know how those shocks are holding up.

·
Registered
814 Posts
steved on Oct/09/07 said:
Give it some time man, a 1k miles won't tell you **** about the longivity of those shocks. And a 2" drop is WAY beyond what the manufacturer would recommend. Even OTS Koni's are taxed at that point by the reduced piston travel.

Post back here in 6-12 months and let us know how those shocks are holding up.
Hehe, ok.

·
Registered
341 Posts
ok i need some help on this i am going to be putting suspension on my integra 94 ls and i wanna put skunk2 pro 2 full suspension kit on it which will cost me $550 brand new which is a pretty decenent price but i want to know if there good i want them to be good for racing too but also be smooth. the other suspension that i was considering although i dident really wanna spend 700 on was the tein basic coilover suspension which one do you think is better? or better for what i want to do pros and cons plz also msg me what you think too thx

·
Registered
587 Posts
the blues are just no-go.
i'm running with the neuspeed sport springs. first few months, its going good. then after couple months, its giving out on me. i think i'm going to switch to agx's or yellows

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
skunk2 pro coilovers are ridiculous. with 16's in 45 series tires, and at anything less than an inch wheel gap all around, these things are jerky as hell. if you have, say...a pregnant girlfriend like i do, then they aren't going to be comfy. when i'm driving by myself i appreciate the stiffness though. cornering is awesome.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Zanphyre on Oct/06/07 said:
I have Tokico HPs on my car and I love them. They provide a fairly comfortable ride, almost like stock but with a 2" drop.

Garentee they blow in a year. The HP is equivalent of KYB GR2, which is stock replacement really... for drop more than 1.5" or more, you need Tokico White or KYB AGX or Koni Red/Yellow...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.