Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i just lowered my car around 1.75" in the front and 1.5" in the back (or so). Its very obvious that my camber was affected because i can visually see my wheels like this / \
i was thinking of getting a skunk 2 camber kit to adjust this out. Are there any other things that could be going wrong besides my camber? my toe maybe?
on the subject of toe, i have heard that the toe on integra's is set stock, and u cant change it. is this true?

please someone help, ive read about 10 different posts about toe/camber and learned 10 different opionions... PLEASE someone who knows what they are talking about let me know,

edit: also, do u reccomend an alignment?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yes an alignment would be nice. Can't change toe? hm.. Caster is static, unless you add the adjustability factor into it, then it becomes eccentric. I always have thought toe on the Integra can be fixed/adjusted at any standard alignment shop..

diagram

~P2P

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Get an alignment.

Toe is adjustable, camber is not.

Eliminate any toe out in the front (spec is zero toe in the front). Some run a touch of toe in to reduce inside tire wear.

As long as you have no more than 1.5 degrees negative camber in the front, a camber kit really isn't necessary as long as your toe is in spec.

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (and feel free to bash me if im not right) I believe the toe in/out, it corrected by adjusting your inner/outer tie rod ends.

The caster is something I don't entirely understand. Is it the placement of the wheel in between the fender wells?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

very general diagram of caster

Caster is the positive or negative tilt of the spindle steering axis where positive is backward and negative forward.. Caster is the angle of the steering pivot measured in degrees.

What caster can cause:

*problems in straight-line track
*steering (heavy or light?)
*potential pulling - (different from side to side caster spec often pulls toward side with more negative caster or less positive caster)

What may cause it?:

*an accident
*broken parts, or could even be bent

Often caster is popped up in discussion about tire wear.. it influences such ever so slightly..

A quick thing to know before I continue, caster, like I said before is static (and camber, which was mentioned by GSR_J, is also static on FWD vehicles.)

Caster is very important and is often and generally what most define as their steering. The more positive caster the spec. is, the more instability you receive at high speed in turn for increased turn-in.. the more negative the spec. becomes, stability is enhanced at higher speeds, but the turn-in goes down..

~P2P

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
By static do you mean there is no set point for the caster or should the ball joints be at a 90 degree vertical at all times?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
static means not adjustable

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
tiger6386 on Feb/08/06 said:
static means not adjustable
Gotcha, but what is the factory setment-is that a word?, is it a vertical 90 degrees from ball joint to ball joint?

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
GSR_J on Feb/08/06 said:
Get an alignment.

Toe is adjustable, camber is not.

Eliminate any toe out in the front (spec is zero toe in the front). Some run a touch of toe in to reduce inside tire wear.

As long as you have no more than 1.5 degrees negative camber in the front, a camber kit really isn't necessary as long as your toe is in spec.

Toe is what wears tires out quickly, not camber. This is a common misconception.

Alignment specs for a Type R:

Toe-in:0.0in (F)/0.08 in (2.0mm) (R)
Camber:-0°30’ (F)/-0°45’ (R)
Caster:1°10’ (F)

As GSR_J said, the factory spec is zero toe in the front.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Dan, like many others, crusade upon the camber-tire wear relation and its misconceptions. Often you will almost always hear ppl say how camber wears their tires out quickly and yada yada, and it generally appears to be senseful to about the most of us.

However, you must understand, despite that some may tell you that camber will be a minimal percentage of premature tire wear, it depends on what driving you anticipate. While most will say to get a camber kit for whatever reason (like when the ride height has dramatically experienced a change), you have to know that some ppl track, some A-X, some SD, some cruise, and some just commute. Because the majority of us like to ''drop'' or ''dump'' or ''slam'' our ride(s) and travel very far or long distances that are generally linear for an extended period of time, the camber will chew you out unless you have it within tolerant specs.

Now, say you try to efficiently 0 it out, which is sort of generally the scope you want to be in in straight-line tracking. Say this car is also your A-X'er. Your turns and handling of the suspension mostly tend try to compensate and dial toward 0 - this is the chief reason why many ppl & manufacturers usually have a hint of negative camber. Refer to the diagram above to see camber. The contact [patch] between tire and road surface in turning becomes maximized. However, at 0 degrees or just near it, you can see the problem that can be faced if the car faces many instances (instantaneosly or just always-recurring) of turning.

When it is said camber is very dynamic, it doesn't mean the tampering is, it just means it undergoes many changes in road driving situations (hence, dynamic.) It indeed sure does.. camber kits are only necessary for those dramatic drops (and dependent on what kind of car.)

Toe, when out of spec., is often associated with wear. This is true, and we generally call this ''feather-edged'' wear. Depending on your toe and the severity, the directional pattern of such wear depends on those 2: the type of toe and the degree of it. While toe is measured in the tiny measurements of inches (yeah, we'll never be like the rest of the world..), it may be hard to believe that toe can cause such a problem if not properly 0'ed out by a standard alignment shop. At higher-up speeds, the problem gets amplified.

toe for the visually impaired

I posted this in another topic some time ago, don't remember what topic. This if an easier way to see it and a visualization of what toe can be, for those are you that are visually impaired or mentally inclined.. lol..

Now this is for all you gamers who like fun like me. As you can see, I'm just taking it nice and easy with my car. Many things can easily alter camber (as well as manually changing it.) Driving in the grass and dirt, taking super sharp turns, speed with aerodynamics, road grooves, many many things.

Here, is my NSX-R at the Nurb-. As you can see, I was able to momentarily induce airborne capabilities (not really lol). The shot thereafter is the split second I hit back onto the surface.

the game, though with all of its active, reactive, and passive parametres to the environment, it is not a expendable justification. But it is still entertaining nonetheless..

~P2P

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
Ha, using video game screens as a learning tool. I love it. Good idea

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.