Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike, what is the word on your rocker arms?

I stumbled upon a GS-R setup running the Spec B's with a Mugen head gasket. Skunk2 IM, 310cc RC's, CAI, and 2.5" exhaust. The redline was set to 9500 with Godspeed-Yoshio chip/Apex'i V-AFC.

Anyway, this setup made 189hp/127tq which I feel is just amazing. I sent an email asking about if any bottom end was performed...but I still just find this incredible. Those SpecB's really do make power.

I'll see if I can get a graph to see where the power is (they mention 7000rpm vtec x-over).

·
Registered
306 Posts
189 isn't bad... but it could be much better... here, compression comes into play

toda b's have potential to make well over 200

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Toda B's were designed to make alot more but need a proper engine package. That car I think could be overcammed with that compression and most likely would have gotten an equal peak number but with a stronger curve with the Toda A's. I'd like to see the chart though to see what it looked like.

From everything I've read I wouldn't jump into the Toda B's unless you can seriously bust out the right engine package for them. They are serious cams, not to be taken lightly. Some overcammers I've seen drooling over the new Toda Spec D's when they can't even use B's properly.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yeah well your package is crazy enough to be compatible to those so you don't count...LOL...

BTW, did you notice Tony that Greg already was warned by Toda about the rocker wear with those Spec D's?

I hear the b16a rockers and b18c rockers are slightly different. I'm not sure if it's the rocker arm ratio or not but the geometry may be different enough to show more wear on the B18c1's.

if you do get those D's with your ITB 2L compression up the wazoo monster, I'd invest in looking for a backup set of rocker arms (even a set of used ones off a b16a head... new ones ain't cheap...it's almost as costly as getting the entire b18c5 head from the factory)... trust me, I've been there...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whoa hey long week :p

I'm sorry...I meant is there any update on the rocker arm wear that you said occurred on your setup? I take it that you believe it is because the cams are so aggresive?

I do agree that the setup I mentioned (above) could really fly with compression....

No reply from the owner....

I also inquired about his chip. I haven't been able to dig up much info on it.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I got a set of slightly used b16a rocker arms (no wear) from the engine builder and installed those. I've decided to go 10W40 Redline synthetic on the new engine. I'm at 500 miles on my break-in procedure using 10W30 nonsynthetic for the first 1000 miles...man that takes self-control. No highway cruising at a constant speed and so it takes awhile to get in the mileage when you only do city traffic driving and have little time to do it. 500 more to go. The first 200 miles has a 3000 rpm rev limit. And so, with a JDM FD, I'm below the 62 mph speed limit in 5th gear if I want to stay below 3000 rpm. People are passing right left and center. It's brutal.

I think several things contributed to the excessive rocker wear: using 5W30 Mobil 1 trisynth past 2500-3000 miles for a maintenance schedule change interval (known to breakdown into a 20 weight oil after 2300 miles especially if you like frequent trips to the redline...mine is 9300 rpm...the recommended Honda oil change interval is well past 3000 miles ) and having lots of burn off with 5W30 in the summer/fall. Having a more agressive cam spec is a factor. The lash was set to Toda's spec. The timing belt never flaps or jumps which is normally seen with Toda B initial installs which don't pay attention to checking TDC like your life depended on it. A very small amount of fine sand was found in the oil pan's oil that got past the AEM CAI filter and the oil filter when the engine was torn down but no residual was seen when the head was inspected and cleaned but this may or may not have also contributed to the problem.

If you get these cams (with the Toda springs), you need an engine builder who is patient enough to obsessively check the TDC and especially just before puttng on the belt. I would degree the cams if you know how to. Use a stronger timing belt (PE brand). Use assembly lube on the cams during install. I recommend staying away from 5W30 personally ,except for winter driving, and always check oil levels (minimum weekly) to ensure the level never even approaches minimum. Use a no slip 4 bolt adjutable cam gear.

These cams definitely require an ECU reprogram, no question. The VTEC switchover is as high as 7000-7300 rpm with extensive fuel map tuning on a wideband at the dyno. The redline is usually anywhere from 9000-10000 rpm.

cheers.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, and there you have it!

one more question. gas mileage! how is it for the B's? (I know it's hard to gauge on a break-in) but what is the general guesstimate?

·
Registered
162 Posts
i had the B's on my car.. i used 270cc injectors, and stock fuel pump on a 93 da6. i filled my tank every 290-315 miles. and i averaged about 11.5-7 gallons per fill. i still have them B's up for sale if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
$700. you pay for shipping, which is prolly around $20-25. i have the reciepts and all. they have about 9-10k miles on them. PM if you want more info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts