Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I want to bring my car to Arizona soon but I was wondering if my 17s would make it or not. It's a 6 hour drive non-stop. I have Katana C5s and Kumho (sorry if I spelt that wrong) tires. Would it be okay to drive it over in them or should I switch them out with the stock 14s?

P.S.Didn't know where to post this question

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have like stock tires still, 14's hub caps if you will. I drove to California from San Antonio fine this summer. My car still running strong and actually even a better gas milage when I got back

in the 30s city and highway like mid 30s

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
UP to you~

Travel with the 14s then, and then when your back. pput on the 17s.

Just some labor work which you can do your self

·
Registered
545 Posts
~95 TeG LS~ on Sep/01/02 said:
Well I want to bring my car to Arizona soon but I was wondering if my 17s would make it or not. It's a 6 hour drive non-stop. I have Katana C5s and Kumho (sorry if I spelt that wrong) tires. Would it be okay to drive it over in them or should I switch them out with the stock 14s?

P.S.Didn't know where to post this question
Put the 14s on because you'll end up getting better gas mileage for da buck. But both of them are fine just as long as dere not bald.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't you get better gas mileage on the bigger tires. Think about it, say you "cut" the tire and unroll it onto the ground. Wouldn't the 17 go further than the 14 when layed out?

·
Registered
240 Posts
yes, the 17's would have more rolling mass... meaning they would resist slowing down more than the 14's, provided all else being equal... meaning you would need to use less gas to keep them rolling...

however, if the tire compound on the 17's is softer, they will stick to the road more, meaning extra friction, which translates into more fuel needed to keep them rolling...

another factor... 17" tires are much more expensive to replace than 14's...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
If the wind is behind you, that will aid in reducing the friction your car has with the air...if it's in front of you blowing back, then you'll use more gas. If you have the 14s on, the car will blow easier as it is closer to the ground, the 17s will cause more air "turbulence" so you'll use more gas.

Gas mileage guys? We have four bangers, not eight, bad gas mileage for us is like 25 MPH isn't it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Sep/02/02 said:
Gas mileage guys? We have four bangers, not eight, bad gas mileage for us is like 25 MPH isn't it?
true enough... i think the worst i've ever gotten on the highway was like 28mpg... and that's because i was hauling ass...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts