Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
are you sure you're looking for normal driving? based on tire type, it looks as though you want to either accelerate forward (drag) or sideways (autox) better than with the stock tires...

either way, a sticky compound tire like the pole positions or falken azenis (my future tire) will certainly help... 205's may be a "little sloppy" for autox but for drag racing, the bottom line is: more contact patch, better traction... expect the usual side effects of decreased tread life and lower mpg...

if you are honestly looking at strictly normal driving then get something with a harder compound and stick to the 195/55/15 size

·
Registered
240 Posts
SurferX on Sep/23/02 said:
The contact patch will be the same size no matter what size tire you get. All it really does is change shape, but the area remains constant.
if this were true, wouldn't a very thin tire would be preferred in a drag race due to its thinner, but longer contact patch? but this isn't the case obviously...

am i misunderstanding you?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I use to have the 14inch Acura 5stars w/ 195 60 14s and I have since upgraded to a set of 95 GSR 15inch rims, They came w/the 205/50/15 tires and I have noticed a very great increase in handling, cornering, stopping and acceleration =) It also shows more rim than tire. THe tires are Kumho Ecsta 712's. I dont know how they handle in the rain because I dont use the Teg in the rain..lol

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
swiftllamagone on Sep/23/02 said:
if this were true, wouldn't a very thin tire would be preferred in a drag race due to its thinner, but longer contact patch? but this isn't the case obviously...
am i misunderstanding you?
If 400 lbs. is resting on a tire that is inflated to 40psi the contact patch will have a 10 sq. in. area no matter how wide.

Drag slicks aren't skinny because you can't really elongate the contact patch very much without a much larger tire diameter which isn't really reasonable. Typically people run lower tire pressures at the strip which is what will actually increase the contact patch size.

·
Registered
240 Posts
SurferX on Sep/24/02 said:
If 400 lbs. is resting on a tire that is inflated to 40psi the contact patch will have a 10 sq. in. area no matter how wide.

Drag slicks aren't skinny because you can't really elongate the contact patch very much without a much larger tire diameter which isn't really reasonable. Typically people run lower tire pressures at the strip which is what will actually increase the contact patch size.
ahh... makes sense when you put it that way... we could use an article about this kinda stuff... StyleTeg has one about choosing the right pressure, but a FAQ about tire size and pressure and its impact on contact patch shape and size would be really good too...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.