Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im needing some new tires, for normal driving.

IM looking at:

Bridgestone Potenza S03 Pole Position
with UNI-T AQ, 195/55/15

or should i go with 205/??/15 ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,097 Posts
on stock wheels 195/55 R15 is the best size. But unfortuately the S-O3's do not come in that size. 205/50 R15 would be the second choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,097 Posts
on 15x6 wheels yes. 205's are a little sloppy and turn-in isn't as crisp because the tread is so much wider than the wheel. 205/50 R15 on 15x7 wheels though, perfection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
are you sure you're looking for normal driving? based on tire type, it looks as though you want to either accelerate forward (drag) or sideways (autox) better than with the stock tires...

either way, a sticky compound tire like the pole positions or falken azenis (my future tire) will certainly help... 205's may be a "little sloppy" for autox but for drag racing, the bottom line is: more contact patch, better traction... expect the usual side effects of decreased tread life and lower mpg...

if you are honestly looking at strictly normal driving then get something with a harder compound and stick to the 195/55/15 size
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,097 Posts
The contact patch will be the same size no matter what size tire you get. All it really does is change shape, but the area remains constant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
SurferX on Sep/23/02 said:
The contact patch will be the same size no matter what size tire you get. All it really does is change shape, but the area remains constant.
if this were true, wouldn't a very thin tire would be preferred in a drag race due to its thinner, but longer contact patch? but this isn't the case obviously...

am i misunderstanding you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,250 Posts
I use to have the 14inch Acura 5stars w/ 195 60 14s and I have since upgraded to a set of 95 GSR 15inch rims, They came w/the 205/50/15 tires and I have noticed a very great increase in handling, cornering, stopping and acceleration =) It also shows more rim than tire. THe tires are Kumho Ecsta 712's. I dont know how they handle in the rain because I dont use the Teg in the rain..lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
what about 194/50. I just bought some pp s03s for my civic in that size. I'm still waiting on the wheels though. Nice thing about smaller tires is that they're lots cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,097 Posts
swiftllamagone on Sep/23/02 said:
if this were true, wouldn't a very thin tire would be preferred in a drag race due to its thinner, but longer contact patch? but this isn't the case obviously...
am i misunderstanding you?
If 400 lbs. is resting on a tire that is inflated to 40psi the contact patch will have a 10 sq. in. area no matter how wide.

Drag slicks aren't skinny because you can't really elongate the contact patch very much without a much larger tire diameter which isn't really reasonable. Typically people run lower tire pressures at the strip which is what will actually increase the contact patch size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
SurferX on Sep/24/02 said:
If 400 lbs. is resting on a tire that is inflated to 40psi the contact patch will have a 10 sq. in. area no matter how wide.

Drag slicks aren't skinny because you can't really elongate the contact patch very much without a much larger tire diameter which isn't really reasonable. Typically people run lower tire pressures at the strip which is what will actually increase the contact patch size.
ahh... makes sense when you put it that way... we could use an article about this kinda stuff... StyleTeg has one about choosing the right pressure, but a FAQ about tire size and pressure and its impact on contact patch shape and size would be really good too...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top