Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who just recently purchased a brand spakin' new 04 wrx. He is pretty new to the whole "import scene" and he doesn't have the largest knowlege about performance parts in general. Well, it seems like everytime I turn around, he is talking about some "really cool mod" that will give him _____ (fill in the blank) that he read about while on the subie forums.

I know that I'm not no Micheal Delaney when it comes to cars, but it just seems like everytime we talk, I have to stop him in his tracks, shoot him down, and then educate him about the pros/cons of doing that "really cool mod." I hate feeling like a "know it all," but sheesh. I've been a member of this website for a year and a half now ,and when I first joined up, I barely knew how to change my oil. Now 1½ years later, I'm teaching people how to install a freakin' clutch on their car! All the concepts that I've learned here at TI are embeded in me, and I'm trying to share them the best I can with my friend. It just seems like I've become a real life TI moderator who has to constantly babysit a import newbie from legoblock building his car.

I mean... I really want him to be enthusastic about his car and to enjoy moding it, but I feel like I'm being such a buzz kill. I suppose the meaning of this post is to see if any of you all relate to my experienece?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
white_rice on Mar/08/04 said:
I have a friend who just recently purchased a brand spakin' new 04 wrx. He is pretty new to the whole "import scene" and he doesn't have the largest knowlege about performance parts in general. Well, it seems like everytime I turn around, he is talking about some "really cool mod" that will give him _____ (fill in the blank) that he read about while on the subie forums.

I know that I'm not no Micheal Delaney when it comes to cars, but it just seems like everytime we talk, I have to stop him in his tracks, shoot him down, and then educate him about the pros/cons of doing that "really cool mod." I hate feeling like a "know it all," but sheesh. I've been a member of this website for a year and a half now ,and when I first joined up, I barely knew how to change my oil. Now 1½ years later, I'm teaching people how to install a freakin' clutch on their car! All the concepts that I've learned here at TI are embeded in me, and I'm trying to share them the best I can with my friend. It just seems like I've become a real life TI moderator who has to constantly babysit a import newbie from legoblock building his car.

I mean... I really want him to be enthusastic about his car and to enjoy moding it, but I feel like I'm being such a buzz kill. I suppose the meaning of this post is to see if any of you all relate to my experienece?
absolulty..i know exactly where you are coming from man. like people all around here are like oo woow.. im gonna slap on this cai and its gonna give me 20hp and 20ft/lbs mor torque, then im gonna give the gas some octane booster and fly! and im like no...and sometimes i do feel like a know it all but sometimes you gotta tell them that they have no clue what the hell they are talkin about..and it does get tiring after awhile having to correct so many "fast and the furious" wannabes..

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I have kids that come down to my house when my garage is open. They ask me BS stuff about my teg and my civic. Then they proceed to tell me about this new intake that gives like 30hp or getting a turbo from a supra. Or they ask me about my old school parts (like zspeed) and they ask me why don't get get a skunk2 or DC one. So yeah i give it to em' straight up, so it seems like a buzz kill i guess. But yeah if i saw myself from somebody elses shoes i might look like a know-it all dick. But I guess we all have to start somewhere and eventually educate ourselves.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yeh, me and a co worker who's a couple years older than me were talking about exhaust on our cars (he has a big truck). I was telling him about how I wanted to go with a 2-1/4" or 2" and try to get as little backpressure as possible. Then he said, but you need a little backpressure for the low end. Ahh, I felt really bad telling him he was wrong since he's older than me. Oh well, but yeh it happens to me often enough.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
There are alot of kids around here that think they are all fast because they have a cheap exhaust and they think each little thing they do to their car is gonna be a big increase in power..example: "man im gonna throw this chip in my car off of ebay and it says im gonna get a 50hp increase and better gas mileage" , and im like , you sure about that one? , cause im not. and they all think that they are right and they dont wanna listen to anyone else..

Also when i dont know someone and they say they have all this stuff done to their car, and you know that they are bs'n you...i hate that..damn posers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
its all cause of fast and furious crap. that got all these young kids hyped up on bull just cause they saw stuff in the movies, and think they know so much.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Totally man. Most of my friends are still stuck in Lego building mentality, and it's hard to turn them around because you don't want to sound like an "ass" about it. But the truth is, most of them would not listen to you, since in order to grasp what you're talking about they must have pretty good knowledge first.

So now I just don't talk to them about it anymore. Most of my friends drive turbo cars so it's pointless to talk to them now since I only know all-motor stuffs.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
And all of this happened way before Fast and Furious. I remembered my friend telling me his cherry bomb muffler on his civic gave him 20 horsepower back in 1999.

·
Registered
56 Posts
why would anyone put a cherry bomb on a civic, thats sounds pretty retarded to me? and would look stupid.

i mean all the new kids out there watching the movies and crap. then they go get a cavi and think they own the street. pathetic!

·
The Enforcer!
5,803 Posts
werd homie
i have a friend like that. he knows some but not all and he thinks that i dont know squat when it comes to comparing my car to his srt-4. i made him sh*t his pants when i told him if i turbo'd my car i would run in the mid 13's with 5-7lbs of boost and once i SC my ride i would get either low 14's or high 13's. i was like compare your 20g car to my 2-4 g mod. he would go on and on about once he puts this and that on his car. shoot he has done a quite a bit to that little rocket but his time slips dont impress me

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yea my friend who has an integra decided to unleash his vengeance on my "know-it-all attitude" and how I do't listen to anyone else. Just after I cleaned out his whole brake system and clutch fluid/installed a new cam seal and lowered his car. All for free he tells me how I make everyone look stupid. Well hello if I didn't know the right way of things or the true reality of things I wouldn't be getting questions all the time about "What do you think about this?" or "How much HP will this give me?" There are a lot of people out there living off of hype and not true specs. I said to my friend: "If you don't like my personality thats fine you don't have to hang out with me anymore but don't take into effect my knowledge about things I already know for a fact." I just thought it was really rude to tell your friend you feel uncomfortable around their "know-it-all" attitude after they work on your car for free. When are people going to realize that when they ask questions about cars don't expect someone to agree with them 100%??? Especially if they have little to no automotive knowledge. If I sound "know-it-all" to you maybe you should go hang out with those teenagers who think a fart pipe and a short ram intake is going to increase HP by 30. IF you ask questions to someone who has more automotive knowledge than you expect to be corrected and be mature enough to take in constructive criticism.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I heard it all the time from my ex's friends before I left highschool. Of course they are seniors now, and it has done nothing but gotten worse. I feel sorry for the cars that they beat on, it's sad really. Whatever, though--to each his own. If they ruin their cars, if my ex ruins her car from their advice...lol, don't say I didn't warn them. I think my ex always used to get ticked off when I'd tell her friends differently. Apparently her friend with an auto Del Sol has "Vtec", and it really pulls in "second gear". Bleh, good riddance...maybe I'm still bitter. BUT THATS BESIDE THE POINT.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. Don't you all feel really greatful that we have a board like this one that weeds out all the B.S.? It is really unfortunate that other car enthusists don't have the same quality we do. I even try to explain that to my friend but I think he thinks I'm just braging. haha

For a few laughs, here is the latest misinfo that I've had to correct and/or show the pros/cons of doing the mod because he was wraped up in hype.

"Man, I heard of this bigger turbo I can buy that can give me up too 500hp"

"one of these days, we should go get some 103 octane racing gas to see how much faster our cars are with it"

"I know of this muffler shop that can make me a 3" exhaust for only $___"

"I read that dynoing your car is bad for it"

"I want new rims, but I read somewhere they have to be compliable with AWD."

"I can modify the _____ to make my car boost up to 25psi"

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Man you guys are lucky. I wish I had friends like you Over here I dont know anyone that knows about cars. I'm not one of those people that says They know a turbo that gives 500hp thats just nonsense. IMO I think its good that you're a know-it-all. If someone thinks they're wrong, let them mess their car up.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Teggyman on Mar/08/04 said:
Yea my friend who has an integra decided to unleash his vengeance on my "know-it-all attitude" and how I do't listen to anyone else. Just after I cleaned out his whole brake system and clutch fluid/installed a new cam seal and lowered his car. All for free he tells me how I make everyone look stupid. Well hello if I didn't know the right way of things or the true reality of things I wouldn't be getting questions all the time about "What do you think about this?" or "How much HP will this give me?" There are a lot of people out there living off of hype and not true specs. I said to my friend: "If you don't like my personality thats fine you don't have to hang out with me anymore but don't take into effect my knowledge about things I already know for a fact." I just thought it was really rude to tell your friend you feel uncomfortable around their "know-it-all" attitude after they work on your car for free. When are people going to realize that when they ask questions about cars don't expect someone to agree with them 100%??? Especially if they have little to no automotive knowledge. If I sound "know-it-all" to you maybe you should go hang out with those teenagers who think a fart pipe and a short ram intake is going to increase HP by 30. IF you ask questions to someone who has more automotive knowledge than you expect to be corrected and be mature enough to take in constructive criticism.
Very true. one of the concepts I've tried to pass on to my friend is to look at the specs of the product and not the brand name. In the specs lies the real truth about how the part will perform.

Hype has clouded my friend's mind, but I do think that he is slowly seeing the light. What I do appreciate is that he is open minded to my knowlege and he trusts it as well. However, sometimes the candy coated hype tastes a little bit better than the cold hard facts. For example, my friend did end up getting that 3" muffler shop exhaust against my advice. Luckly the shop he went to did do a very good job and the bends arn't really too bad at all. Nonetheless... haha

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Well with my friends there pretty open minded so we all teach each other, but what pisses me off is the mechanics or oil changers that ask you why your putting such a part on your car when it's not going to do anything. I didn't ask you to question what I'm putting on my car I'm paying you to install it for me.

Example: my motormaster oil and oil filter is just as good as that mobil 1 syn oil and k&n filter, and will last longer.......uuuuuurrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know it must suck, but your friends are lucky to have you around. What really keeps pissing me off is these so called "pro press" that many of us look to when we first get into cars. I remember watching "Hi-Rev Tuners" and thinking "wow, I want to do the same thing. I have the same engine." But I was on TI for only a week when I read the truth that I didn't need a bling fuel rail or to upgrade the ignition coil with the cool yellow box. They are selling product, which is fine, but I just wish they told the truth. Tell me the truth the rail is for the bling, not the power.

You learned that much in a year around here. I'm glad to see there is maybe hope for me if I stick around here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah im embarassed to say that when i got my integra and i wasnt a member on this site that i was one of those fast and furious high school kids that thought i was gonna be able to run 10s one day. but thank god for this site and all of the members who consider themselves "know it alls" cuz without you all i would still be an idiot when it came to cars.

thanks everyone

1 - 20 of 44 Posts