Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my tires are supposed to be kept at 50 PSI. I keep them at 45. Tonight I get home and notice my rear passenger side tire is low, I check it, it's at 10 PSI. Now I don't have my lug nut tool (so gay) to get the tire off and take it to get it filled up/checked for a hole. My question is: Will driving on a tire like this with such low pressure risk damaging my rim? I just need to make it up the road a mile to the gass station so I can at least fill it up.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If the gas station is only a mile up the road, you should not have any problems getting there safely. Just aviod any kind of potholes or road debris. Running over something hard/deep can bend a rim at that low of psi, but a normal flat road won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Dam 50psi? 45psi? Thats ridiculous! Do they even make tires that can take that much pressure when cold? You know its suppost to be lower than that right?

You can drive on tire pressures that low, but its not a good idea. Usually when the tire looses that much pressure overnight, its normally a nail in the tire somewhere. So the air pressure is slowly lost over time. Check your tires for potential problems.

Also one other are to check is the valve stem. The valve stem is that thing that you put air in. In the past I have seen dry craked worn out ones leak pressure. Just by moving it around I could hear air escaping out of it.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
sak on Apr/09/04 said:
Dam 50psi? 45psi? Thats ridiculous! Do they even make tires that can take that much pressure when cold? You know its suppost to be lower than that right?

You can drive on tire pressures that low, but its not a good idea. Usually when the tire looses that much pressure overnight, its normally a nail in the tire somewhere. So the air pressure is slowly lost over time. Check your tires for potential problems.

Also one other are to check is the valve stem. The valve stem is that thing that you put air in. In the past I have seen dry craked worn out ones leak pressure. Just by moving it around I could hear air escaping out of it.
agreed

you sure your tire pressure is suppose to be that high?
the pressure on the sidewall of the tire is NOT what the tire pressure is suppose to be set at. that is max psi!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
i drove my 205/40/17 at 3 psi to teh gas station... i thought it was handling funny so when i got there i saw it was extremely low...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Shouldn't you have your tire pressure set to 35 front 33 rear as per the LS/GS tire psi manufacturer setting? Even if you have 17s or even 18s, the overall diameter should have been kept the same thus approximately the same tire pressure. Too high tire pressure will result in uneven wear in the center of the tire at best, may result in more dangerous situations especially when your tire heats up and the pressure rises even more.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
AcuraMXS on Apr/09/04 said:
Shouldn't you have your tire pressure set to 35 front 33 rear as per the LS/GS tire psi manufacturer setting? Even if you have 17s or even 18s, the overall diameter should have been kept the same thus approximately the same tire pressure. Too high tire pressure will result in uneven wear in the center of the tire at best, may result in more dangerous situations especially when your tire heats up and the pressure rises even more.
for the stock tire that is the setting but aftermarket tires have their own settings

·
Registered
338 Posts
If anything, lower profile tires should have a bit lower psi in respect to front and rear, but it should not be more than a few psi off (assuming same overall diameter) than the factory recommended setting.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Stock size or not, your contact patch size will be the same regardless of the tire size if you use the same tire pressures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts