Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just finished putting on a new head on my wife's Integra and I started it up. It started up, but it was very rough. I retarded the timing all the way, but the engine still acts as though the timing is advanced a little. It idles at 2500 rpm and then will drop to 700 rpm and then bounce back to 2500 until it eventually dies. Here are my questions.

I noticed, after the fact, in the service manual that there is something called a SCS Short Connector that you connect to the Data Link Connector in order to time the engine properly. Is there are work around for this? If not, can I buy the part from Acura?

I also think that maybe the timing is off one tooth on the timing belt. If it was off one tooth, would the engine even run on these cars. I know every car is different, that is why I ask.

Thanks in advance. I am so close to getting my wife's car back on the road, it is always one more thing. If I have not made myself clear on some things, feel free to ask me to clarify.

·
Registered
13 Posts
not junmping the connector will not make it run rough, you could have the cam timing off a couple teeth and the car would still run, just really poorly. run it up on #1 TDC and check your timing marks. that is most likely where your problem is. as for the connector, you can stick a paper clip in to short it while adjusting the base timing. all this does is prevent the ecu from electronically adjusting timing while you're trying to set it. fix your timing marks and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Take your timing belt cover off and see if the arrows match each other on the cam gears when #1 piston is at TDC. Also did you double check that theres an arrow on the block that you are supposed to match up with the crankshaft sprocket when you take your main crankshaft pulley off to find TDC for #1? It's hard to put the belt on without a cam gear tool to hold the gears in place when the tension is applied to the timing belt. It will move the gears when you tighten it and throw it off. The other thing is that when I did my timing belt at automotive school theres holes on the camshafts (right next to the cam gears/even with where the camshafts rest on the edge of the head) This guy I know that works at Honda uses pins to make sure they don't move when he puts the timing belt back on integras) I think this is the tricky part to installing the head back on.

·
Registered
935 Posts
ok well check that crankshaft sproket... Should be an arrow pointing towards the sprocket on the upper left side of the crankshaft sprocket. Did you match that up with the mark on the sprocket?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.