Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have been reading about timing on integras and I will be installing my zex wet kit on my teg my self. Now im starting off with a 65 shot and "zex says to retard my ignition 2'deg. I thought that your knock sensor well retard it back. how am i going to run a 65 shot if it will auto-go back to stock?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Your base timing is 16 degrees. Its asking you retard timing to 14 degrees. The knock sensor will not cause the ECU to advance timing back to 16 degrees. Your ECU however will advance timing slightly for performance, but if it detects knock it will retard, not advance.

If you want the best out of your Nitrous system in terms of performance and reliability you should consider having the car tuned properly.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what your saying is i should get it dyno tuned with the nitrous kit? I have i.t.r cams and i wanted to get it tuned for the cams but just to make sure that they retard it for the nitrous 2 dagree' i want my car to be a quci everyday driver and on weekends some times spray aliitle Im not looking for my car to only be quick when im spraying.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tuning is expensive. However, not tuning definitely decreasings the peformance potential and increases the chance so detonation.

However, in the mean time, retarding timing ( as suggested by Zex ) and running a little rich ( with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator ) can increase the safetly margin while sacificing some performance.

A 65 shot is a decent sized spray. If you can't afford proper tuning, investing in an EGT guage could go a long way in keeping an eye or whats happening in your cyclinders.

ALso you can talk to others running wet setups on their integras for advice on timing and fuel pressure settings.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Keep in mind, without a managment system that lets you reconfigure the air/fuel/timing with and without the nitrous, there will be performance lost when you're not spraying.

ie. you may have to retard timing and richen the fuel in order to prevent detonation while you're spraying, however when you're not spraying, you'll have lost performance over stock due the the timing and fuel adjustments.

Unfortunatley, this is one of the cons of using nitrous.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
hondata is dirt cheap for already-obd1 cars, relatively speaking. if you're going to mod a car, don't half-ass it; do it right and get it tuned.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaBoyNBlu on Feb/05/04 said:
hondata is dirt cheap for already-obd1 cars, relatively speaking. if you're going to mod a car, don't half-ass it; do it right and get it tuned.
Ok what are you saying. I dont think by any means did i go cheap on anything on my car. what dose a hondata have to do with anything? can you go in to more detail with your quote?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
hondata has to do with tuning the nitrous kit you want to add. tuning is good. tuning doesn't blow motors.

blanket timing retards, trusting a knock sensor to keep from blowing up (which doesn't work at all above ~4k rpm, FYI), just strapping on a nitrous kit w/o anything else, etc... they're recipes for disaster.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Doesn't an MSD ignition automatically retard the timing when you spray? That would work pretty well I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts