Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i dont know if this is a stupid question or not, because im 17 and still learning about car maintenance. But heres my question, i bought my 96 rs on november 2003 and the lady told me she had recently replaced the timing belt so it would be good for another long while. But today finally, she mailed me the receipts that she had kept over the years of car maintenance but i went thruogh it twice and couoldnt find anything about the timing belt and my dad is freaking out because its supposed to be replaced every 100000km and im at 150xxx km, can i just somehow check the timing belt without having to replace it now?

·
Registered
101 Posts
i would check the recipts and under the hood to see if ANY belts were changed because when they do a timing belt, mechanics usually change the rest of the belts since they are all off. get a light and look at the teeth of the belts and if there are any worn i would change the timing belt.
you should be able to at least go another 10,000km before you reach the US 100k mile major tuneup mark so don't worry like your pops. your timing belt should esp. be fine for now, if its stock, as long as the engine wasn't abused and raced a lot.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just changed my timing belt last night. Took me 8 hours (there was beer envolved). I've got a 2000 GS-R with 100524 Km on it and the belt NEEDED changing. It was worn to sh*t. 90% of my k's are highway and i only stomp on it like once a week. The US specs say to change it at 160, but the CDN specs say at 96k!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Don't freak out man. Why don't you just call the lady and ask her what the deal is? Maybe she lost the receipt, maybe she forgot to send it, etc. Did you see a receipt for a water pump? Chances are that they replaced the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Bottom line is, that it is not the end of the world. If you find out that the timing belt hasn't really been changed yet, you may want to think about doing it soon (as well as the water pump, belts, etc.), but I wouldn't get to worried. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
If she can't find the receipt, ask her what shop did the service. Then call that shop, give them thej previous owners and and info about the car. Have them check their service records.

If she can't find receipts, and you can't verify it with the shop, then get it replaced. I'm just guessing here but replacing the timing belt and water pump with labour is probably $300 - $500?

Thats a lot less than an engine rebuild if your belt snaps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
good ideas everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts