Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Timing belts are a little more than fifty dollars at most autoparts stores. Engines cost considerably more.

Think about it-- an interference-type engine, where the pistons chase the valves. The belt breaks, the valves are open, the piston comes to TDC.

I'd just replace it every 60k

·
Registered
711 Posts
well..i just had my timing belt replaced..because my water pump died...but my car had 127k miles on stock timing belt and i thought it was about time to change...so i took adavantage...but to be surprised that it was practicly NEW...this is the stock 1.....so i dont know wut happend haha

·
Registered
919 Posts
It might have looked new, as did mine when I changed it.. but I've seen broken ones that looked new as well.

That is one area where just visually checking it is a bad idea, change it at the recommended intervals or you'll eventually learn the hard way.

·
Registered
840 Posts
sickbling on Feb/03/04 said:
well..i just had my timing belt replaced..because my water pump died...but my car had 127k miles on stock timing belt and i thought it was about time to change...so i took adavantage
Good call on changing the belt when you did. My timing belt broke at 129,996 miles, but I have no idea if it had ever been changed. I bought my car in July of 2000, it was at 88K miles at the time. Did my water pump same time I had my belt replaced. Lojik is right on the money on his explanation of the extreme importance of changing that bad boy on schedule. I was EXTREMELY LUCKY, I had no damage to my internals when my belt broke. I was pretty scared when it happened and its not something I want to go through again. I don't think anyones lucky enough to get away with that twice

·
Registered
181 Posts
well i hope im as lucky as you swirly.... my belt JUST broke about 2 hours ago....

sheit... i shoulda gone with the jiffy, lol.

so now i got a few hours of work ahead of me and then i get to see if my motor has been [email protected] beyond repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, my timing belt snapped last week and as you guys are talking about. My "repair guy" says about a $1000. Is that right? He says the internals "HAVE to be messed up" because I was going 40 MPH when it happened. What kind of mess am I lookin at here?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
If you want to be perfectly clear on whats wrong, I'd advise you to tae it to the dealer and have it done there. Not only will they look at what needs to be replaced, but the price difference isn't much. Come on guys, its a timing belot/water pump job. Its going to be costly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
dont youhave to take the whole motor out of the engine bay to replace a timing belt? just wondering

and about how much is it to replace at a shop...a where about price?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Were you cruising at 40, or accelerating? I don't know if it makes any difference as far as damage occuring, but I was cruising at 50-55 mph in 5th gear when it broke, so my RPM's were fairly low at around 2500-2750ish. I suppose the lower the rpm the better the chance of escaping with no damage, makes sense right?

Teg2fast: you need to remove a motor mount, but you definitley don't need to pull the engine.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I got quotes $535 at my local Acura dealer for a timing belt and water pump job. Thats parts and labor. Although it may vary from dealer to dealer, I got only a difference of $5 in my area of Acura dealers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine broke when I was shifting. Going from 3rd to 4th. I went into gear and tried to accelerate and it like... hesitated. Jolted foward. Rotor cap isn't turning over so it's gotta be the belt, but hows it look for the internals? Anyone?

·
Registered
181 Posts
ok, i know that this wasnt my post, but id rather not start another one when my problem lies with my timing.

if you want to make this another pst sak, i understand and its cool.

but anywho... i earlier said my belt broke...it did not.

i have taken the cover off and the belt 'looks' fine (although i havent seen the whole belt yet to see if teeth are missing) well, heres my problem: i understand that the marks on the gears should be at 3 and 9, but mine are NOT....

the right gear's mark is at about 8:30 and so is the left gear's... now before you say that that's wrong

iknow it is.

but im stressing out here... do i need to just replace my belt and udjust the timing and everything 'should' be ok, or am i wasting my time and i should just bring her to a mechanic tomorrow? i can follow directions and read the repair manual and understand what im doing, but i dont want to do all this work if im already fk'd...

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
711 Posts
oh man..i paid 220 for my timing belt and water pump...that includes labor and parts.......u guys get ripped @ the dealership.....go to a "mexican shop" HAHA thats wut i do when i need work on my car....but then again....i talk to em in spanish and stuff...so i guess they hook me up....haha but yea dude 535? thats to much dude....

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
sickbling on Feb/03/04 said:
oh man..i paid 220 for my timing belt and water pump...that includes labor and parts.......u guys get ripped @ the dealership.....go to a "mexican shop" HAHA thats wut i do when i need work on my car....but then again....i talk to em in spanish and stuff...so i guess they hook me up....haha but yea dude 535? thats to much dude....
$535 too much for 2 days worth of free loaner car as well a top notch service. Thats good if you ask me. I could have gotton my timing belt and water pump done for cheaper but I choose not to cheap out on it. Besides, they checked everything on my car, not just do what I told them. This was a service they did for free. Also kind enough to get back to me on everything before any further work was done, approval required.

In the end, its what you are willing to pay for the service, not whether or not you are getting ripped off.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
My belt didnt break, but all the teeth ripped off in about a 8" section.. it happened at 122,xxx miles on the stock belt.. Had to realign cam gears and such. But the belt broke, while I was coasting to a stop, so no damage.. So I replaced the belt, pump, all acc belts, and a new valve cover gasket.. parts were $260.. did it myself, bit of advice, get the honda crank pulley tool from moroso.. and a nice big breaker bar.. makes things ALOT easier..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts