Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I didn't see anything in the forum or articles, so...)

My teg is 10 years old, and I doubt the timing belt
has every been changed. My friend listened under my
hood, and said it sounds like the belt is hitting. It
was making a "slapping" kind of noise.

I doubt this is something I can do myself. The car
has 90k on it, so is this a recommended change?
How much can I expect to pay for the change?
Anything else I should get done while in there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well i can tell you that this is about the time when it is recomended to change the timing belt. that is all i can tell you i know that you will get the rest from the other members.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I would have a professional change it, 60 - 90k is about when you should change it.

Most of the time they change the waterpump and coolant along with the timing belt. The waterpump seams to go about the same time, and if it stops it can cause the timing belt to break and bend your valves.

I paid $400 or so for timming belt/water pump/coolant flush and fill on my 96.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
StyleTEG on Jul/03/02 said:
I would have a professional change it, 60 - 90k is about when you should change it.

Most of the time they change the waterpump and coolant along with the timing belt. The waterpump seams to go about the same time, and if it stops it can cause the timing belt to break and bend your valves.

I paid $400 or so for timming belt/water pump/coolant flush and fill on my 96.
man i hope thats canadian, otherwise you overpaid by like a 100+.. labor should be like 120.. belt is 65 oem.. water pump like 30 more- definitely do at the same time as timing belt. 250max with new valve cover gasket.

coolant flush, well they need to drain it anyways so just tell them to use new fluid when they fill it back up, or if they try to overcharge you for that too, tell them to just reuse it then.

if you do want to flush, well thats so easy you can buy an adapter kit at pep boys for 6bucks. unscrew the drain plug- you can even twist it by hand, drain, stick on the adapter with a hose and flush it out. filler up and loosen the bleeder bolt, close and done. good luck

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would say $400 is about right to replace a timing belt at the dealer. I once saw an ad for a garage that was replacing Honda/Acura timing belts for $300. But if you have the right tools it is very easy to replace yourself. I replaced mine and the only special tool I really needed was an impact wrench. The repair manual seems to think that you can get the flywheel pulley off by locking the cams in place. This is incorrect for a 10 year old car. This will simply break your timing belt.

The way I always look at repairs is; If the tool(s) I need plus parts costs alot more than having a garage do the work, then I'll let them do it. Otherwise I'll buy the tools and do it myself.

I once had a Porsche 944 that needed a new water pump ($100), but you needed a special tool timing belt tool that cost $400. That was a job I left for the garage to do.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My car has almost 70k miles on it...I don't think my belt needs replaced...But since I am in this area should i just break down and get it and the pump done...I have had the acura 60k mile tune up though...do they do that stuff...it would sucj to have my pump go out and bend valves and what not...what are your views?

·
Registered
391 Posts
jent:
I personally wouldn't replace a timing belt at 70k miles. I would wait till 90k. Since Honda/Acura suggest they should be replaced at 90K, I'll be willing to bet that they are engineered to last 120k(which seems to be when they always break if you don't replace it).

If you do replace it make sure that you keep the records of that repair with the car. The next owner is going to need to know when the belt was replaced.

I've never heard of the water pump being a problem with these cars. I wouldn't replace it either unless it goes bad. The water pump won't cause valve damage. Its the timing belt breaking while the car is running that will cause the valve damage, and that is only if you are above a certain RPM when it breaks. I knew a girl that broke a timing belt in an Accord while at a stop light and it didn't bend the valves. If she was on the highway, then it would have been major work.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I've always heard between 85,000-90,000 miles :)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
some ppl told me it depend's on how ofthen do u start ur go like u know ur going somewhere then u stop it for a few min are hour then go somewhere else then somewhere else etc

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, just to put an ending to my story...
Someone told me a good shop to go to for foreign cars
(they were friends with the mechanic, so that's always good)...

Anyway, I got the timing belt, water pump, and accessory belts
done...and they also gave the car a quick check (brakes, etc...)
for $500. It felt a bit steep, but nice to have it
done. They showed me my old belts, and you could
see they needed to be done...my ac belt was shredded.
Sounds smoother under the hood now, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the reason they change water pump is cause you have to take whole bunch of things apart and that is the bulk of your cost - labour. So why do it twice. I paid about $400 CAD for the belt and water pump and had it done at a honda dealer.
Recomended change is at 90k. I've heard that the timing belt is not a big problem on hondas if they go, as opposed to america cars where they could actually do some damage to your engine should they break.
Any thoughts on that? You can probably visually inspect them...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, my teg has about 92,000+ miles on it. Labor was
definitely the big part...I think the parts cost ~$250,
give or take a litte.

I forget what he called it, but the mechanic said
there's two types of setups. The kind where if the
timing belt brakes, it will bend all of your valves, and
then you're in deep. And then there's the other kind,
where if your belt brakes, it won't do that much damage.
He said I had the first kind, so it was probably
better that I just had it done:)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Just had mine done a few weeks ago for like 400 also and my baby runs like a champ ever since havent beenback to the track to erase that horrifiyiiing 16.6 tho btw i was running al stock and needing a timming belt at the time now with intake and exuast no bottleneck

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
always good to change the belt. its the life of the car. dont skimp.
dont attempt unless you KNOW you have the right tools. even impact wrenches will wimper when faced with the devil that is the honda crank pulley bolt. only those with the bigass BFG guns dare tackle that wicked bolt. otherwise, 6foot breaker bars do the trick

·
Registered
400 Posts
XDEep on Jul/04/02 said:
Quote: StyleTEG on Jul/03/02I would , tell them to just reuse it then.
loosen the bleeder bolt, close and done. good luck
wheres the bleeder bolt at? is it the cap at the top? and how do u bleed the coolant? just let the car idle til all the bubbles come out?

·
Registered
181 Posts
im at 91k now, and still dont have it replaced. I need to save money for it! But i was curious on how long it should last before it breaks!? Im gonna replace it asap, but i just wnat to know how long honda timing belts are good for and any other helpful and comforting tips i could use. thx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts