Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my timing belt and waterpump changed on advice of my mechanic. No problems were present but it was suggested as routine maintenance. Within three days of procedure the engine failed due to one or more bent valves. What's the chances the failure is related to the repair being done incorrectly??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not aware that the belt snapped as it would turn over but not start. Is it possible to tell by examing the engine if it was mechanic error or just a horrible coincidence? How likely is it that the belt install was the culprit?? The car was towed back to his shop and I have not had an opportunity to see inside the engine.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
by what you say, it sounds like the mech installed it incorrectly if your engine bent valves days after a timing belt change, its seems too obvious.

You should talk to the mech and let him know you are disappointed in his work and expect him to redo or pay someone else to do it (if you dont trust him)

good luck

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd say you pretty much have him busted.. Lets consider the purpose of a timing belt. To keep Crank and Cams in sequince to not only avoid contact between piston and valve, but to also create proper compression. A number of things could have been factor but I would be looking for a camshaft being a few teeth off or possibly he didnt apply proper tension across the belt when he installed it. Do not let them get away with this. The reason they did the repair is to prevent exactly what just happend to you. Guess what, they ****ed that up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Killme on Oct/10/07 said:
I'd say you pretty much have him busted.. Lets consider the purpose of a timing belt. To keep Crank and Cams in sequince to not only avoid contact between piston and valve, but to also create proper compression. A number of things could have been factor but I would be looking for a camshaft being a few teeth off or possibly he didnt apply proper tension across the belt when he installed it. Do not let them get away with this. The reason they did the repair is to prevent exactly what just happend to you. Guess what, they ****ed that up.
Old boy is on the right track with this comment that would be a reason for valve slap. I had losse timing tensioner once but did have low compression in two cylinder afterwards.

·
Registered
268 Posts
if a camshaft was off a few teeth. you would have noticed it. The engine would not be running smooth, if at all, and drive ability would be greatly decreased.

There is a good chance something was loose and later came out.

Who told you that you had bent valves?

Also, what exactly happened when the engine failed?

Did you overrev the engine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.