Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 gsr with 104k miles and my timing belt broke a couple a days ago. I was doing about 60 in 5th gear. I guess that is between 3000-4000 rpms. I also tried to start the car about 4 times. I've heard that when the timing belt breaks it can do engine damage. I wanna know if under the conditions i explained if it's possible that i did do damage to the engine. If so what kind of damage

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yeah you probably want to get the dealer or a professional to check that one out if you aren't seriously handy with your engine. If nothing's wrong with it then my mechanic has a TODA HIGH POWER TIMING BELT for sale. PM me and let me know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah you might have def done some damage. That happened to mine 94 ls and it bent the valves. I had to swap out for a new motor because it was cheaper than rebuilding it with new valves and all that stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you most likely bent at least half the valves in the head. your probably looking at at least $600 in labor + cost of parts. thats what it cost me the last time i had some one do it for me.

parts would include at least new valves, head gasket and timeing belt. for stock oem parts for just what ive listed its probably going to be at least $200, and that may be on the cheap side.

So, id figure on at least about $800 - $1000 to get it fixed, probably more. thats a pretty heavy hit to the wallet, sorry for your bad luck man.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
wow, that's terrible. I'm going to do it when they recommend it.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
minimum: piston smacked a bunch of valves and they are bent -> valve guides, seats, retainers, valves, retainers, keepers replaced.

maximum: piston and valve and head damage: new head, new pistons and the above list.

cross your fingers. When mine snapped it bent 2 valves in the #3 cylinder and that was all because I shut it down immediately.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Look on the bright side; this may be a great opportunity for some serious top end upgrades! You have several options; you could buy a crate head already assembled, or build your own.

If I were you, I'd probably send my head off for a 3 angle job, port and polish, etc. I'd also pick out some decent street cams, lighter vales, and stiffer valve springs.

Man, this sucks; I wish my belt would break, too!

·
Registered
70 Posts
killab213 on Mar/22/04 said:
If there is a lot of damage would it be better to just get a new gsr engine.
no it would not. You can rebuild the head for under $1500 were as a new/used gsr engine will run your over $2000 and closer the the $2500 range.

·
Registered
413 Posts
man.. i don't think you bent the valves.. that happend to me before in my civic. i thought something was jus wrong with my car. we tried jump startin it for more than 10 times. and the valves didnt break or anythin.... get it checked at acura jus to make sure. coz nowadays some shops will say that it broke or whatever they do to get more money from you

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
the gsr is an interference motor, therefore the likely hood of atleast 2 valves being bent is very high. Its possible that nothing is wrong and I would imagine that if there was you would have heard the valves hitting the pistons. You probably didnt hurt anything by turning it over(crank/pistons spinning and the valves arent), because the valves usually rest at a low point where most of them are closed and only 4 are slightly open.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a feeling thats it was because I was gonna change the damn thing in couple of weeks. When I tried to start it was cranking or turned over but it wouldn't start. I know it wasn't battery cause everything works. There was nothin wrong with car. Also after the tow truck put the car down. I tried to start it for him and he said that it broke by the sound it made.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
killab213 on Mar/22/04 said:
A couple of people told me that the only way to know if there is any damage to the engine is to change the timing belt start it and see what happens. Is this true or is there another way.
so imagine this: you bent 2 valves. They are BENT not straight. You fire up the engine again. Guess what those BENT valves are going do to the inside of your chamber.

Imagine this now: one of them breaks off or more. They then rattle inside your chamber chewing up the head and the pistons as you rev the motor at idle.

Whoever these winners are telling you this....STOP listening to them. They have zero clue about what they are talking about AND it's not their engine.

Want to see what a head pulled on a broken valve did to a chamber (the head is a write off now : can't be fixed)?

So if you listen to them, you can turn a simple valve, valve guide, and seat replacement on 2 valves or if you're lucky 1 valve to needing a whole new head ($1200) PLUS the valve stuff AND the piston/rings. Are they willing to pay for their ignorant advice for you and put their money where they mouth is ?

Some people should just keep their mouth shut.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Mar/22/04 said:
Just out of curiousity, how would you know if the timing belt just snapped?
Hmm.... That's an interesting thought, I have no clue. can anyone say what they heard when it snapped?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts