Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok question..I was in 3rd gear going 35-40 up a hill..my timing belt broke so i coasted off to the side of the road, what could of happened? What should I do now? And has anybody else had this happen and what was the result?

·
Registered
696 Posts
It wouldn't have been hard to search, there's been a lot of threads on timing belts breaking. You probably messed up your valves. That's why we replace the timing belts when the manual says to replace them, unless your belt was defective for some reason (highly unlikely, OEM belts are usually very well built)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Try a compression test - its a little easier than pulling the head (which you may end up doing anyway). The cylinder(s) that have zero-ish compression are likely the ones with bent valves. If you end up with good compression numbers across the board count yourself lucky and throw a new belt and water pump in.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I had the belt break on my 91 GS at around 2500rpms. Bent every valve. Compression numbers before were 180psi on each cylinder. After, they were 90psi on each. The motor was toasted. I just bought a new one, and swapped it in. Much easier (IMO) then pulling the head and replacing the valves.

For me it was

Replace valves, timing belt, head gasket, water pump, tensioner, accessory belts, etc. That came out to around $300.

I bought a B18B longblock for $380 shipped with only 88k miles on it, and havent regretted it once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.