Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this and actually new to caring for my Integra, but I love my car and want to do it right. My brother's been taking care of all the mechanical things for me but now he's in London for 4 months so I'm in charge. I have a 1999 LS with 70,000 miles on it and my bro suggested I look in to when I should replace the water pump and timing belt. Can anyone help with this? They're typically replaced together, right?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
yes they are replaced together usually.
i just changed mine for the first time when i had about 126k ... most people usually change at around 80-90k, if you drive your car hard or the belt looks kinda brittle or shreading then its time to change

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I changed mine on my 99 LS at 77k miles. They both looked as good as new (I literally couldn't tell the difference between the new parts and old). It really depends on how well your car has been taken care of and how hard the engine has been driven. It's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
800 Posts
yea timing belt/water pump should be changed together, usually on integras they are changed within the 60k-80k mile range.....just make sure your timing belt is taking care of cuz if that breaks, u'll be needing to replace a whole lot of other things just take it to a shop or if u could do it yourself but yea i'd say its around that time to change, if you don't push you car that much it could probably hold out until your brother gets back...good luck :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should've asked this in first post too...what is the average cost for this replacement assuming I do it proactively? I'm taking it to a local mechanic that's been working on the car for years...not the dealer...never the dealer again. The dealer charged me $600 to have my car pass inspection for petty things...

·
Registered
7 Posts
im a mechanic maybe i can help. you should replace your t-belt and water pump every 60k, the reason they're done togther is they cant be seen they're under the timing cover, so you do both while your in there, the water pump is driven by the cam gears with the timing belt. sould be left for a professional if done incorrectly car may not run. im not saying go to the dealer , just find a mechanic you can trust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.