Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hearing this sound but goes away making it difficult to troubleshoot.
"tik", "tik" ......
There might a vibration inside the engine compartment at the time. Doesn't have to be a cold start. It happens at idle or low speed.
Car has 141k miles and Automatic.

The idle speed is low at times. It had threw P0505 code and I cleaned the throttle body but did not help.

Any of you know of this?

Update:
1999 LS Automatic 4dr - 141k
Valves were adjusted 2 yrs ago - also air filter now has 12k on it - little dirty
NGK Platinum were done at about 60/80k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know what year or mods you have but the first thing that comes to mind for the noise is a pumped up lifter. The code is probably unrelated and may have to do with your maf/map sensor, air filter, tps, etc. For that, I would clean everything from your air intake to the throttle body and see if that works first.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know what year or mods you have but the first thing that comes to mind for the noise is a pumped up lifter. The code is probably unrelated and may have to do with your maf/map sensor, air filter, tps, etc. For that, I would clean everything from your air intake to the throttle body and see if that works first.
1999 LS Automatic 4dr
No mods

What do u mean by "pumped up lifter"?
I already cleaned the throttle body. It does not have TPS sensor - everything is stock

Air filter is prob 3yrs old with 12k miles on it - little dirty

Does this car has maf/map sensor?

Someone suggested Sparks might be the cause? I have platinum NGK put in around 80k - now 141k.
I checked the spark wires and there is nothing ab normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over time hydraulic lifters sometimes don't bleed the oil out fully after shutting off the engine. This results in a tapping noise when you first start the car which fades away relatively quick after the engine is started. If that is the problem, and it doesn't get worse, it's something to be aware of "to be repaired" next time you get into your block.
You do have a Throttle Position Sensor as well as a MAP and IAT. All 3 are either on the throttle body or intake.
Sounds like it's time to do some routine maintenance. I would recommend spending the 20 bucks for a Haynes manual (42025). It has a maintenance schedule in there that is great for keeping vehicles happy. Plus, it's easier to work than a phone when your hands are greasy.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over time hydraulic lifters sometimes don't bleed the oil out fully after shutting off the engine. This results in a tapping noise when you first start the car which fades away relatively quick after the engine is started. If that is the problem, and it doesn't get worse, it's something to be aware of "to be repaired" next time you get into your block.
You do have a Throttle Position Sensor as well as a MAP and IAT. All 3 are either on the throttle body or intake.
Sounds like it's time to do some routine maintenance. I would recommend spending the 20 bucks for a Haynes manual (42025). It has a maintenance schedule in there that is great for keeping vehicles happy. Plus, it's easier to work than a phone when your hands are greasy.
Thanks but maintenance has been up to date as far as I know.

At Stop lights, the idle is occasionally low.
At times it sounded rough while driving.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I changed the Sparks with good ones as stated by others
The one came out (Plat) sees good too - I need to get 2nd opinion. I did these to eliminate Sparks.

The "tik" sound or "cluck" sound seems to come once when I turn AC on. However I did not so far hear the "tik", "tik".... sound - meaning happening multiple times one after the other. I need to wait and see.

Wondering if the sound caused by AC switch .... ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts