Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at comptech street headers and i see that there are 2 types, mig and tig, and about a $100 price difference. Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the 2 types and is it worth it to go for the extra 100 dollars for the tig welds for a daily driver? thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would say that with the tigs, the welds are probably a lot more precise and cleaner than the migs, plus tig welding is much more difficult and expensive, my friend just bought a tig and it set him back about 1500 and his dad works for licoln electric so he got a deal

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
TIG is a stronger more precise weld beacause theres less impurities, more precise heating, and a cleaner weld puddle due to the better shielding. It's also slower, more expensive, and harder to master, thus you pay for it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
FYI, Comptech no longer makes the MIG welded 4-2-1 as of last summer. So unless you buy used or old stock, you can only get the TIG welded version.

I have a TIG welded Comptech and have no complaints at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tig = better quality weld, and more durable weld, HOWEVER, for a Daily Driver, if the brand is a well-known brand, which it appears to be because they have a choice between Mig and Tig, the MIG welded headers should be fine for a Daily Driver, just as long as you don't push the hell out of 'em, if you have plans on ever buildling it up or taking it to the track even once a month, go for the Tig welds...iight pz

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i have a tig comptech header and its leaking at the welds, it has like 80k miles on it though.....havent had any complaints except the recent cricket noise its been makeing from the leak but it still works good...found someone in the area thats gonna tig weld it back for me, then it should be fine...i think comptech is a good choice though, i had a dc on my last car and couldnt really tell that much of a diff in power, w/comptech i could. tig is a lot nicer looking

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have a Mig welder, while it may not be as clean as the tig for a daily driver the mig should be plenty strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts