Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I know they both probably perform the same. I think they're both stepped designs and that's the best header out there besides the hybrid ones like Hy-Tec. For the MIG and TIG welding, not to sure about that. Think it's just the type of finish on them. I don't know for sure, have to wait for more replies.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i mean the pictures look just about the same and they look stainless steel, the onlydifference i can see is the price. oNe is around 300 and the other around 500. BIG difference. I really wonder what is the difference between the two.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
The difference lies in the quality of the weld and cosmetic appearance of the welding points. Both will perform the same and neither has any performance advantage over the other. I know because when I was shopping for a header I called the Comptech sales rep and asked (straight from the horse's mouth....if you will)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i see. then is the quality of the two drastically different or just about the same? I'm leaning more towards the cheaper one if the performance advantages of the two are alike.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
MIG welds may leave slight obstructions to airflow. It is very slight though. Depends what you are willing to pay for I guess. Higher quality = more expensive.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i read the article and it says the MIG ones can crack. Is that true? It's only due to high heat though...
And the obstructions is true as well. But the question is, do you thinkt he tig welding one is worth the money?

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
The TIG welded header is a work of art. It's a very well made header. I've heard that the Tig has a nicer finish and better polish to it than the Mig. But that really doesn't matter since it'll turn blue anyways. Igot a few pics of the TIG header if your interested.

·
Registered
137 Posts
tig is a cleaner looking weld so that makes it quality and pricey because its harder to do, mig is just the everyday type mufflershop deal. the part that is welded in mig welding you see a buldge where it was put together and makes it stick out a little, even when a good job is done. the tig id have to say is more like sewing metal together because of course you see where it was welded, just dont have the buldge. woman do it because they have steadier hands then men. we suck

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i see, that's a great explaination. Thanks i guess i really should go with the TIG then because i dont want it to crack nor do i want to have the bulge and lack of quality. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey man dont worry about MIG welds. I acctualy weld ornamental fence with MIG and it will hold up fine. We weld the fence then they powdercoat them at 400 degrees and the welds hold up find. I really dont think it is worth the extra 200 bucks for a TIG weld. It might crack but i really dont think it will, i personally would go with a MIG weld i have enough faith in them not to worry about it cracking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
price-wise, i thought there would be a huge difference b/w the 2, but after getting some quotes from my local shop, there was an $87(CAN) difference. I'd rather pay that extra 87 bucks to have a better piece of mind and get a great product

·
Registered
96 Posts
Really, i figured there would be alot bigger differance. Id agree for that much id get the tig.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts